Who are you when no one’s looking?

March 1, 2016

There’s a song by Blake Shelton called, “Who Are You When No One’s Looking,” and in the song, he is basically talking about the woman he loves and the quirky things she does when he’s not around. The message in that song can be used when thinking about the people you interact with everyday.

In today’s society, everything from race, skin tone, and even religion plays a part in how people view each other. Everyone is one way in public and different when they’re in the comfort of their own home. There are over 5000 people at MC, and some are putting on a brave face everyday or trying to impress their teachers and peers. However, it is important to stay true to the qualities that you possess or the things you love like video games or watching The Walking Dead. Those things speak volumes about who you are as a person.

So who are your fellow peers and professors when they aren’t standing in front of the class trying to give a speech or grading papers and helping steer you in the right direction? Are they secretly master chefs or extreme adventurers? Have they read every Nicholas Sparks book and play Call of Duty every night before bed?

Senior MC student Victoria McCurdy says that she thinks everyone will always see her as an athlete. “Sometimes it feels like I have athlete printed on my forehead even though I haven’t played in two years. I’m so much more than a soccer player though,” McCurdy said.

Some of the things she likes to do are drawing and going to art museums. “My favorite artist is Georgia O’keeffe. I feel like that’s something that a lot of people wouldn’t guess. I’m not just some jock,” McCurdy said.

For Biology professor Erin Norcross, she says that she does a few things that no one would guess just by looking at her. “I sew and do wood work. I have made a couple of chairs,” Norcross said.

Mike Johnson says he likes to dance in his spare time. “I think a lot of people would be surprised if I told them. My friends still don’t believe it. I guess it’s because I’m a big guy that it seems so weird,” Johnson said.

People are quick to judge others based off of appearance without ever getting to know what makes that person who they are. So the next time you see someone, try not to be too hasty in your decision on that person’s personality or interests. You never know who’s doing what when no one’s looking.

-Ayanna Bloom, Contributing Writer

this article appeared in Vol. 97, Issue 9 of The Mississippi Collegian