Get to Know Our New President

Dr. ThompsonSeptember 4, 2018

The start of a new school year is best described as a wave of change and excitement. For some students, it’s meeting up with old friends they haven’t seen all summer, finally getting into the circus arts class, or being one semester closer to that “ring by spring”. But for Dr. Blake Thompson, our new MC president, this fall brings its own changes and plenty of excitement. As a husband and a father of three, it was no small task to move his family and become part of the Mississippi College family. Nevertheless, he seems up to the task.

Dr. Thompson and his wife are both from Mississippi, but they and their children have lived in a number of places, including Washington, D.C. and Columbus, Ohio. When given the chance to become the next president of MC, his family saw it as an opportunity to come home and contribute to this community.

So far, Dr. Thompson has enjoyed his time at MC and has found it hasn’t been too hard of an adjustment. He thoroughly enjoys meeting students, being able to build relationships with the faculty, Pimento’s homemade chips, and getting to use his new golf cart. If you see any random scooters around campus, they probably belong to his children, who are also getting used to this new way of life.

“Everyone has been so welcoming and warm and kind. We really just appreciate it and find it a joy to even be here.”

Being president of a university was not originally one of Dr. Thompson’s ambitions. However, he and his family “pursued opportunities as they came,” and when God opened this door for him, he did not hesitate.

When comparing working at a smaller, private university to working at a large, public university, he notes that while the size is a noticeable difference, they are more alike than they are different. Both private and public universities have relatively the same problems, but they also the same possibilities and potential. However, parking at private universities is noticeably better.

Dr. Thompson is also very active on social media (@DrBlakeThompson) . Recently beating the MC Clocktower (@MCClocktower) in a race to 1,000 followers, he hopes his presence on the world wide web will allow him to interact more with students, as well to boost morale by letting them know that they are heard and cared for.

When asked to describe Mississippi College in one word, Dr. Thompson gave three.

“Family,” for how close knit and inviting MC is, not only to him and his family, but to anyone who walks through its doors. “Faith,” not only due to the faithfulness MC has shown and will continue to show, but also in regards to God’s faithfulness to His people here on campus.  “Love,” because people love MC. Our alumni and students are loyal. The faculty loves students, and the love of God is present on this campus, a love that is formed by faith.

Dr. Thompson’s current mantra is simple, but rich in meaning: “Head and Heart.” To him, this can mean many things. It describes how he wants to be a headstrong but also compassionate leader. In addition, it delves further into a sense of purpose, describing us as an institution. Mississippi College produces intellects who are in touch with those around them, combined with a smart and compassionate culture, full of faith and academic success.

So what’s next? Dr. Thompson plans to spend these next weeks getting to know the campus and everyone who makes MC what it is. So be on the lookout, and be sure to give our newest president a warm MC welcome!

Nathalie Rowell

Volume 100, Issue 1