Aneta Golawska: The “Polish Princess” on the Tennis Team! By Anais Eliseeva, contributing writer

Aneta Magdalena Golawska

Birth date: July 22, 1997

Height: 5’7’’

Class: Sophomore

Birthplace: Bridgeport, Conn.

Hometown: Gdańsk, Poland

It has been a year since a cheerful blonde Polish girl, Aneta Golawska, came to Mississippi College to study Public Relations and to play for the MC tennis team. “I came here from Poland, but I was born in Bridgeport, Conn. My parents came to America in their mid-twenties, but when I was four years old, they decided to move back to Poland, their home country,” said Golawska. “I have two older sisters and one younger brother and all of us have dual citizenship.”

Golawska started playing tennis when she was 10. “By looking at my older sister Ola, I started loving tennis and wanted to play too,” she said. Also, Golawska’s dad influenced her sport choice. “He likes tennis a lot, and he always wanted to play himself but never got a chance,” she said, even though Golawska admitted that it was her sister who inspired her the most. “I always wanted to be like my sister. I admire how she is and what she does,” she said.

According to Golawska, the best thing about tennis is how it helped her grow as a person. “Tennis is an individual sport, so I learned how to rely on myself. It taught me to work hard to reach my goals. If you’re not putting in all the effort, you can’t expect anything,” she said, “It is important to put 110 percent of effort, not even 100, into what you are doing.” As she noted, she usually plays more aggressive and offensive game.

The main thing Golawska used to struggle with in tennis was her explosive character. “I would do something and then think. I would get into an argument with an opponent all the time,” she said. “If somebody asks me what’s the score, and I think he said something wrong, I am ready to fight. Sometimes it brings issues to the court.” She also used to be very negative to herself for any mistake she made during the match. Golawska gave herself a boost for the upcoming season, which is “do not talk to yourself on the court.”

Golawska plays both singles and doubles matches in tennis. “I would say I prefer singles over doubles, because I am scared of missing a ball when playing with a doubles partner. I always take the whole fault on me,” she said. “In order to become a good doubles player, it is important to be understandable for the other, because you share a part of the court. You have to be supportive and cheer each other up all the time.” During the previous season, Golawska used to play on the first position on doubles, but then she decided she would feel more comfortable playing on the second position.

As for Golawska’s hobbies outside tennis, she likes to watch Polish movies and TV series. “Watching Polish soap operas is what keeps me positive. For me, this is the main thing to do when I am not in class or in practice,” she said. “It is so ridiculous, but I still like it. It is in Polish, and it shows places where I used to walk. When I am watching it, I feel like [I’m] home.” She also likes to spend time with her friends. For example, in the spring, they used to go on trips every weekend. “That kept me busy all the time,” she said.

“It is really hard sometimes to combine studying and tennis and to have enough time for each. Nevertheless, studying is the most important thing so it is important to put as much effort in it,” said Golawska. “During the last semester I used to spend the whole night studying to keep up with the material, and because it was my first tennis season and I didn’t expect it to be as difficult as it was.” She also has a two-hour tennis practice five times a week as well as one-hour weight training twice a week. Nevertheless, Golawska managed to maintain a high GPA.

Golawska took a one-year break from tennis when she was around 14 years old. She said, “I didn’t play tennis at all. I’m a rather social person, and I just wanted to spend more time with friends.” However, when she went to a tennis camp after a break, she realized that tennis is what she needs to do. “I knew that hanging out with friends will not bring me anything in the future, but what actually could be my future was tennis,” said Golawska, “Tennis became the thing that kept me happy. It was my purpose and took the first position of my daily task. Also, if I didn’t play tennis, I would probably have never come here.”

The thing Golawska is thankful for the most is her family. “Family is the most important part of my life,” said Golawska, “My siblings and I are very close to each other. Also, I can always rely on my parents, because they would always support me in every situation. Now, when there is seven-hour time difference, we can contact each other any time. Even if it is three o’clock in the morning in Poland and I feel sad and I really need to hear my parents, I can call them and they would answer the phone immediately.”

Sofia Carrera, who has been Golawska’s friend for almost two years, said, “If I had to describe Aneta in a few words I would say she is lively, dynamic and kind. She is one of those people who have the gift of making others smile just by saying a few words.” She also added, “As a tennis player, I would say Aneta is a strong willed individual who tries her best every time she steps on the court, even when she screams her classic ‘Aneeeta!’ after missing an easy ball. The Polish princess [nickname given to her by the tennis team] surely is one of a kind.”

Golawska is looking forward to the upcoming tennis season in Spring. “I wish I could play as good as possible,” she said, “I assume the reason the last season was hard for me is that it was my first season.” Since then, Golawska became more experienced, and this time, she knows what she has to be ready for.