Freshman vs. Senior Perspective on the Men’s Soccer Team! By Madison Brown!

With only the GSC Tournament left to play, the Choctaw soccer season is coming to a close. The men’s soccer team is made up of a select group of players from around the world that work together as a family toward one common goal: victory.

Grant Falla, a freshman from Hattiesburg, Miss., is one of the newest members of the Choctaw family. Previously a varsity player for the Sacred Heart Crusaders, Falla won two state championships during his high school career with his father as head coach. After being a part of the Rush Organization, Falla came to MC to play for head coach, Kevin Johns. “It’s definitely a unique situation playing for your father, but I’ve known Coach Kevin for a while now so it wasn’t a big transition.”

The biggest transition for Falla was when he moved from 1A high school soccer to becoming a part of a Division II college team. “I had to basically start over from the beginning and work to win a spot on the team,” stated Falla.  He now practices with the “top team” and looks up to older players on the field like Bastian Busch and Humberto Pelaez. As a freshman, Falla hasn’t seen much time on the field just yet, but he plans to have a bigger presence on the field in the coming years. “Right now, I’m just going to continue to work hard, continue to fight for a spot, and get ready for next year.”

One of 13 seniors on the team is Andrew Moore from Huntsville, Ala. Thinking back to his first year at MC, he remembers the nerves of freshman year. “I didn’t know anyone coming into a new environment and a new school. I was nervous, but I just wanted to prove myself.” After four years with the Choctaws, he’s much more relaxed around the team and on the field, and, as a senior, Moore takes on a leadership role. “The best way to lead is by example, so I make sure I’m working hard at practice and making sure no one takes a day off.” There are less than 40 players on the team, so Moore’s goal is to encourage the younger players by letting them know “you’re here for a reason.”

With only a couple of games left in his college career, Moore looks to see younger players step up to fill positions that will soon be empty. He says the team has a lot of candidates and strong leaders who can easily fill those spots. He expects to see the same high level of play from the Choctaw team over the next few years, but “the next step is to have a national presence and have a well-established MC program.”

Both Falla and Moore say that the best part about being on the Choctaw soccer team is their teammates. Falla says that even though “I’ve only been on the team for a few months, I feel like I’ve known them for so long. They’re a great group of guys on and off the field.” Looking back on his last four years at MC, Moore feels the same way. “My best friends are on the team. I’ll take those memories from practice and hanging out off the field with me for the rest of my life. They’re definitely my favorite part about being on the team.”