Meet MC’s New Media Technology Coordinator: Madison Brown/by Marquisha Mathis

Madison Brown takes to heart the words of Matthew 6:34, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

“I have to live by this, because I worry a lot. You can’t worry about what you can’t see,” Brown said. 

Brown graduated from MC in Spring 2019 with a degree in communication. She had it all planned out, and it didn’t go the way she thought, but she ended up with the perfect job two hours away from home.

“I’m a planner, so it’s taking some time,” said Brown.

Brown is the new Media Technology Coordinator at Mississippi College, where her day usually consists of recording Moodle content for professors, sending emails, as well as overseeing MCTV.

“She is a very knowledgeable person and helpful with the media materials,” Hope Smith said.

“I came to talk to Mr. Ryan Capell in the Teaching and Learning Center about becoming his graduate assistant, when he asked me if I would like to take over his position of being the media technology coordinator,” said Brown. “In that moment I was in shock, because I couldn’t believe that.”

Her goal was to be a grad assistant and attend graduate school. “I was coming to work 20 hours a week and I ended up with 40 hours,” said Brown. “This was very unplanned; it doesn’t seem real yet.”

Before graduating, she took portfolio with professor Reid Vance. He said that you can have a lot of different types of callings, which can be locational, vocational, and even spiritual. 

“I didn’t know exactly what my calling was, but I knew that my locational calling was to be in Clinton and at MC,” said Brown. 

This is all still very new for Brown. She took the job over the summer and moved away from her parents. “I’m very much of a home body and moving away for college was a big step. Now that I moved away indefinitely, that’s kind of scary,” said Brown.

She did not know if the job would be hers, but the opportunity was there. There were many steps that had to be taken before she could be hired. 

“I talked myself out of the fact that I could have the job. I thought there was a chance that maybe they wouldn’t need someone to fill that position or they would get someone else to do it, someone who’s a little more qualified,” said Brown. She added, “There I was over in the HR office and they gave me my employment letter and that moment was really when it was real. I sat on the bench in Nelson and read my letter, and that was a very cool moment.”

Brown stayed busy with many tasks at MC that included the Inauguration of President Blake Thompson as the twentieth president. Now, this new position will allow her to work with so many different departments across campus to film and livestream events for MC audiences – such as the Scholarship Banquet, Convocation, and graduation. “I get to work with faculty and students to bring their ideas to life, whether it’s for a class or extracurricular activity.”

In five years, Brown sees herself continuing to improve the studio and department she works with. “I hope to have my Master’s in Communication and teaching in the Communication Department, but for the first couple of years working in this position is going to be learning everything she can. I knew the student side of working with MCTV or filming events. Now, I have to learn this role of being an employee.”