Four’s A Crowd/by Jared Vardaman

In the great adventure that is college, a person’s roommate is a major factor that can either make or break their year. We’ve all heard the roommate horror stories. Roommates with drugs in their mattresses, hiding their significant other in the closet when the RA checks rooms, or even worse: never flushing the toilet or taking out the trash. You know what I’m talking about. But four brave souls in New Men’s have decided to take on the ultimate task: having not only one roommate, but three.

New Men’s 268 and 259 are home to four of Decerto Men’s Service Club’s finest: Bradley Ducote, Dillon Hunt, Isaac Bowlin, and Daniel Youngblood (pictured). These four brothers in Christ are the perfect example of how roommates can not only get along, but also thrive and seek to encourage each other. They have all of their beds bunked in a single room with two desks in each room. “We really wanted to put the rooms together to give us a space to hang out and create community. We wanted it to be used as a ministry, and one of the best ways to do that is to just have a place where guys can come in, watch TV, play video games, and just be together,” said Bowlin.

This is not a new concept in the minds of dorm dwellers. In 2017, four freshmen in Hederman decided to attempt the same task, and by sophomore year one of them had transferred, one had changed majors, and the other two rarely speak to each other. Clearly, they were missing the one thing that all roommates must have in order to co-exist peacefully: the willingness to compromise.

Living with someone in a confined space, in any aspect, is a true test of patience. Siblings are the perfect example of this. You love them to death, but sometimes your personal space is highly intruded upon. I, for one, was an only child growing up. I grew up entertaining myself in my room, all alone, so when I was able to have a roommate in college, I knew I had to learn to coexist well. This is not the case for many people. I have found there are five odd types of roommates you can encounter in college:

1. The Gift: This is pretty much the perfect roommate. They run in different circles than you, while making the effort to spend quality time with you and build a meaningful relationship outside of just being your roommate. Sure, you have your differences, but you’d definitely room with them again.
  2. The Moderator: This is a roommate that maybe you’ve gotten decently close with, and has never done anything particularly wrong to you, but you just don’t think you’ll be asking to keep the same room with them next year. Sorry bro. 
  3. The Negator: This roommate is just hard to get along with. They spout negativity about life in general, and while not being a bad, or toxic person, they leave you feeling a little down after every conversation with them. Then again, some roommates think everyone else is hard to get along with, making them the hardest to get along with!
  4. The Vapor: Maybe they show up, maybe they won’t. You don’t know anything about this roommate besides their 3 a.m. FaceTime calls that really get on your nerves.
  5. The Double Standard: The worst roommate of all. This roommate is constantly telling you to do things, or keep things a certain way, but rarely follow their own orders. It’s honestly exhausting, no matter how you look at it. 

But the four roommates in New Men’s seem to be gifts to one another. “I was a little intimidated by it at first,” said Hunt, on his current roommate situation. “But it’s been really good for us. If it gets too loud in one room, we can just walk over to the other.” 

“We all get along really well!” said Youngblood.

There you have it. Whether you have one roommate, or three, it’s going to be tough at times. But just like every friendship or relationship that you will have in your life, you must be willing to compromise, love, and empathize with them readily.