Musical Department to Put On Production of “She Loves Me”/by Jared Vardaman

Musical theatre fans rejoiced to find out that Mississippi College will be putting on its first full musical since 2015! The music department will be presenting She Loves Me, a hilarious, twisting love story with music by Jerry Brock and story by Joe Masteroff. The cast is still in the finalization process, but the campus is humming with excitement to see what the music department will do with one of Broadway’s most beloved shows!

She Loves Me is a retelling of Parfumerie by Hungarian playwright Miklós László. The story has been made into several movies, most notably You’ve Got Mail starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. The musical tells the story of Georg and Amalia, two workers at a modest perfume store who can’t stand each other in person, but unbeknownst to them both, they have actually been writing love letters to each other! Hilarity and drama ensue in this soaring and tasteful musical.

MC has not had a full musical theatre production on campus since 2015’s Into the Woods. Talks of a musical were heard around campus in 2018, but a few issues occurred in securing the rights to a play. Thankfully, a wonderful cast and crew of students and faculty members put together a collection of beloved Broadway tunes in last spring’s Broadway Retold, which included songs from Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, and Wicked. It was a rousing success and spurred on support for a full production.

“A musical here at MC would open the door for more performance art and expression of story on our campus. As a student, I believe that I’d rather see a cheaper on-campus show or recital than an expensive off-campus one,” said sophomore Ethan Coats.

Senior communications major Emmie Fuson has this to say: “The musical She Loves Me is a classic and timeless piece. I am so excited to see and enjoy the talent at Mississippi College.” 

So get ready to sing, dance, and cry along with the cast and crew of the MC music department’s production of She Loves Me, which will open in mid-February!