The Homestretch to Homecoming/by Elijah Cardenas

Mississippi College is currently abuzz with anticipation for one of MC’s most time-honored and thrilling events of the year: homecoming. 

Taking place Oct. 21-26, homecoming this year will feature the return of many of MC’s favorite traditions, as well as some new events never before featured as a part of this monumental week. This year’s homecoming theme will be “Same Bricks, Different Stories.” 

According to Homecoming Chair Emily Duck, this theme was chosen to highlight the mingling of “alumni stories with the stories of current students” on the brick streets of their shared home at MC.

MC will be putting on various events throughout the week to build up to the homecoming game on Saturday. Events will begin on Monday with a service day activity and a trivia event in the evening hosted by Mortar Board located in New Men’s Rotunda.

The homecoming events really begin to pick up steam on Tuesday with an all-new Brick Painting Event to celebrate the stories of the alumni and current students. Additionally, the clubs and tribes tradition of Choctaw Cheer Off will take place that evening, along with an all-campus worship night.

Wednesday’s events will consist of a commuter lunch and “Chillin’ with the Choctaws” starring MC’s very own football team. This event provides students a chance to meet and celebrate our football team as they prepare to take on Shorter for the game on Saturday.

Thursday’s events shift the focus of the homecoming events toward the excitement of Follies with the Student Preview event. There will also be a Chick-fil-A breakfast giveaway on campus in the morning and the classic breakfast event in the Caf following the Follies Student Preview.

Tickets for the Follies Student Preview are first-come, first-serve starting at 9 a.m. on Thursday, Oct. 10, and can be picked up at the SLC prior to the performance date on Thursday, Oct. 24. Students wishing to attend should reserve their tickets at mc.edu/follies as soon as it opens to ensure that they save their place in what is sure to be yet another fun and eventful Follies performance.

Friday presents the most events for MC students and a climactic build up to homecoming on Saturday. “Fun Friday” will kick off with a meal replacement on the Quad for lunch, along with various games and a Spikeball Tournament. Students are encouraged to sign up for what is expected to be a thrilling Spikeball competition. In the evening, clubs and tribes will put on Follies for the alumni and the general public, with Follies Awards being held on the Piazza afterward.

Float-building will take place for clubs, tribes, and other campus organizations leading up to Saturday’s tailgate event and the Homecoming Parade. At the end of this exciting day, the MC football team will face Shorter, a game that promises to be a thrill from start to finish.

With so many exciting events and people returning, MC’s 2019 Homecoming promises to be a whirlwind of excitement for both students and alumni alike.