Falling for Autumn Activities/by Meredith Stratmann

It’s October, almost November, and you know what that means. It’s finally fall! By this point, everything is falling: leaves, grades, and rain. But in the midst of a flurry of midterms, papers, and presentations, arguably the best season of the year has descended on us. There is no shortage of fall activities in which to participate, which brings me to the question at hand. What is the best fall activity?

Now being from the Midwest myself, I truly miss the traditional fall where the leaves change color and it gets under 60 degrees. The lack of this hasn’t stopped me from embracing fall to the greatest extent. Although, given 18 years of experience in a “true” fall setting, I do consider myself something of an expert.

This is why I can say the best fall activity is undeniably apple picking. Am I paying to do work for which other people get paid? Yes. Does that make it any less fun? No. There’s something about hand picking apples and riding on the little wagon pulled by a tractor that is wholly autumn. It’s an activity that can be enjoyed by all ages. People take their kids apple picking, people go on dates apple picking, and girl gangs go apple picking. It’s just fun. Not to mention you get as many free apples as you can eat while you’re out there.

Now I love fall, so I don’t want to discredit other quality activities. Pumpkin carving is a close second, and bonfires would come third. Emilee Johnson, a nursing major, agrees with bonfires, saying, “My favorite fall activity is a good bonfire. I love being outside in the cold, next to the warm fire, enjoying quality time with my friends.” There’s also something to be said for corn mazes and cozy nights in, watching scary movies. 

Some people, like junior Sarah Romines, tend to take the side of the spooky aspects of fall. Romines says, “The best fall activity by far is going to a haunted house! It’s something you can do with anyone whether it’s your friends, family or whoever. Also the pricing is never really too outrageous, so it’s great if you’re out here ballin’ on a budget like most college students are!”

I personally have a history of unintentionally hitting actors and actresses when they pop out to scare me, but nevertheless, haunted houses are still a fun fall favorite. 

The only fall activity I don’t support is pumpkin picking. I know this sounds shocking as I’m such a hypewoman for apple picking. The difference is that nine times out of 10, all of the pumpkins have been picked already, so companies buy pumpkins and simply place them in the fields. It’s “picking” a pumpkin, but it’s really no different than if you were at a grocery store. 

In the end, autumn brings so much needed change to life. Different outfits to wear, different foods to eat, different movies to watch, and different activities in which to participate. While I believe apple picking is the best activity by far, there is never a shortage of things to do in this season. The most important thing is to get out and enjoy the changing weather with the people that matter most to you, regardless of what you’re doing.