MC’s Own TV Personality/by Austin LaBrot

Dr. Glenn Antizzo will make his eighth television appearance on Nov. 5, 2019, to discuss election results and offer insight to Magnolia State politics.

The Mississippi College political science professor has been making appearances on ABC affiliate WAPT-16 since the early 2010s, promoting America’s second-oldest Baptist university well.

“I try to put politics into plain English,” said the Cornell graduate. Antizzo first made his television debut thanks to Ross Adams from WAPT.

Adams worked at Mississippi College for Star 93.5, the campus’s former radio station, before working with WAPT. MC sold the radio station a few years ago, and Adams was out of work. Adams found work with the Jackson station and has worked ever since.

When the station was looking for political commentators, Adams recommended his good friend Antizzo. Ever since, Antizzo has been a go-to analyst for the station.

Abbie Hunter, a junior political science major, said, “I think it’s really cool to have a professor who is so respected by the community that they want to hear his opinion. Not many students can say that.”

Many local colleges and universities have showcased professors on air, but Antizzo is a prominent face on WLBT, along with political science colleague D’Andra Orey from Jackson State University.

“It has been a very positive experience. The people at the station have been very kind to us,” Antizzo said. He added, “Orey and I do a straight analysis. I think the viewers enjoy two scholars respectfully explaining the mechanics of the process.”

Antizzo and Orey will discuss the highlights of the highly contested gubernatorial race between Republican frontrunner Tate Reeves and Democratic nominee Jim Hood. Reeves is currently the Lt. Gov. for Mississippi and has been endorsed by current Gov. Phil Bryant. Reeves beat former Mississippi Supreme Court Chief Justice Bill Waller in the primary elections.

Hood has served Mississippi as the Attorney General since 2004. He defeated seven other candidates for the Democratic nomination. Antizzo and Orey will arrive at WLBT an hour and a half beforehand to discuss results and take notes with anchors. 

Originally from Port Jefferson, NY, Antizzo made Clinton his home in 2009 when he was hired at MC. He received his Ph.D. at Louisiana State University and formerly worked at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, La.