Graduation Changes/by Austin LaBrot

New traditions for the Choctaw family will be here soon. Spring commencement will be held on Friday, May 8, in various locations across MC’s historic campus. 

“This will be MC’s first ceremony on the Quad,” said graduation marshal Kyle Brantley. “The school decided to change graduation after Dr. Thompson’s inauguration ceremonies.” 

Dr. Thompson’s inauguration went smoothly, Brantley noted. “The Quad has a more relaxed atmosphere.” 

Deans of individual schools will preside over ceremonies before and after the Celebration Ceremony on the Quad. 

At 8:30 a.m., walking ceremonies will be held for the School of Science & Mathematics and Interdisciplinary Studies, Christian Studies and the Arts, and Humanities and the Social Sciences. 

At 10:00 a.m., the entire campus is invited to gather on the Quad for a celebration ceremony. Around 3,000 people are estimated to attend. The ceremony will include alumni pinning and a keynote speaker who will be announced by administration soon. The celebration ceremony will be open seating, and no caps and gowns will be worn. Cake and punch will be served. 

At 12:30 p.m., walking ceremonies for the School of Education, Nursing, and Business will take place. 

“What’s great about this year’s graduation is that it is all on one day,” Brantley said. 

For more information about upcoming graduation ceremonies, check out the university website at mc.edu/commencement.