Let’s Get Hired/by Elijah Cardenas

MC’s Career Services has been working hard to prepare what Piper Walters, MC’s Coordinator of Student Employment, calls “our biggest event of the year.” Career Day is the annual on-campus opportunity for students to network with local businesses and pursue internships and jobs for the spring and summer.

Career Day will take place on Feb. 25 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Anderson Hall. Almost 80 employers from the Jackson metroplex and beyond will be in attendance, including such names as Chick-fil-A, Mississippi College School of Law, St. Dominic Hospital, and even the FBI. Businesses will be arranged by specialty, and each student will be given a map to help navigate the different stations.

Students are required to wear formal attire to Career Day, but there’s no need to fret if you’re missing a spiffy piece of wardrobe to wear. Career Services is partnering with J.C. Penny from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Feb. 16 to give students mini-makeovers and big discounts on dress attire in preparation for the event.

A preparatory event called Navigating Career Day will take place at 3 p.m. on Feb. 18 in Self 208. This event will help students to become familiar with the layout of Career Day, as well as answer any questions they might have about the event or about career applications in general. Immediately following from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., the Community Bank will be hosting a Jobs and Jeans event in Self 208 to provide students with valuable networking opportunities.

Career Services also requires students to bring copies of their current resume with them to Career Day, but not to worry! Career Services will be offering a Rapid Resume Review Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on February 19 to help students craft, update, and print copies of their resume in preparation for the big event. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone looking for professional help in tailoring their resume.

For all MC’s fitness-minded job-hunters out there, MC will also be holding a one-mile Race to Career Day on Feb. 24 at 5 p.m. outside Nelson. The event is free, and students are invited to wear business attire on top and athletic attire on bottom as a festive way of getting excited for Career Day. The male and female winners of the race will receive a pair of Airpods.

And finally, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Anderson Hall, Career Day. In addition to the nearly 80 potential employers in attendance, Career Services will be taking free professional headshots for students to use in resumes and applications, making Career Day one of MC’s most profitable opportunities of the year.

Taylor Orman, the current Director of Career Services, has her office located in the Career Services offices on the third floor of Nelson Hall. The Career Services offices are open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Students are encouraged to stop by and make an appointment with any of the Career Services workers to discuss career coaching, internships, resumes, or any career topic in between.