New Library Hours: How Could You?/by Marquisha Mathis

The library was the number one place on campus where students could stay until 2:00 a.m. during the weekdays and 1:00 a.m. on the weekends. The change in the hours should have been a conversation since we got back last fall. What was MC thinking?

We already have to deal with the fallout of The Commons being closed due to the great Chick-fil-A coming in the fall.

Since the beginning of freshman year, many of us have wanted an increase in visitation hours, among other things but not at the cost of the library closing early on Fridays at 4:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. on Saturday.

Now we have to study in our rooms, which leads to many distractions such as watching videos on Tik Tok, reading comments on Twitter or watching a good movie on Netflix. So, we have no choice but to leave campus and study in a place where we know we won’t do anything else but homework.

The library is quiet, and it’s especially convenient for those who do not have cars to have a place on campus to focus on studies when they need to. Why should we mess that up? 

It would be different if The Commons was still open because people would have at least one place to study, but we don’t, and the library is needed now since The Commons is closed.

Many students have been complaining about the library hours and how it could close so early, especially on a Friday night. Around this time, students have started to work on projects and study for tests, and the library was the place where they could really crack down and do it because working in their rooms would not cut it.

We know employees of MC have to go home, but we’re just all wondering why the change? As college students, we have so much work to do, and we have to be organized in our thoughts. We need the library. So, the library adding on to our stress by closing early has really shifted our life.

Junior Katherine Parker said, “Their library hours are inconsistent with students’ needs.”

“I think the library hours are very inconvenient for students. It’s especially inconvenient for those who study better late at night,” said student Hannah Cox.

MC, we’re just trying to be great and reach our fullest potential, and that won’t happen if we can’t get the library hours which we are paying for.

Alex Thompson said, “Now that The Commons is closed, the library is the only place for students to study. The library’s new ill-advised hours make studying harder by students having to find places off campus to study.”

What are we supposed to do? Midnight is late, but not late enough. We need the library, especially on weekends, and not just until 5:00 p.m.

The library is the quietest place on campus. We need it. Will you consider changing it for the students in order for us to continue our greatness and maintain our GPAs?