Can You Help Us Out, Career Services? / By: Marquisha Mathis, Opinions Editor

From a very young age, we all have hopes of attending college, one day earning a degree, landing our dream job, and beginning our life. Mississippi College has provided students with the necessary tools to start making that happen.

Every year Career Services gives students the opportunity to bring their resumes and dress up to have a chance to get in front of businesses and get a job. Every semester students are provided with the chance to get an internship or a job.

MC allowed business professionals to come to their campus and see what the students had to offer. They’re excited to see students grow within their time at MC and give them the chance to shine.

This should be great, right? No need for us to complain. Wrong. Career Services held a career fair on Feb. 25 to allow students to go and find jobs that are related to their field. However, it didn’t go that well for some students as it did others.

First, a career fair should have every related field from engineering to music. It should be dedicated to let students of every major have the chance to find work and showcase what they’ve worked so hard for.

Many students have stated that the career fair didn’t provide any jobs that were in their field. They said the jobs targeted mostly towards business and finance majors. Why is that?

The career fair should offer every major, including interior design, communication, political science, English, etc., not just job opportunities in business and finance. All majors are equally important.

This is one of the most important times for every college student. To dress their best and bring their best. It’s not fair that some of the students are not getting the same treatment as those that are business, finance, and even math majors.

Everyone is not in the business department. They don’t want to be. Maybe MC had the thought that these are the majors that anyone can get a job in and are always hiring. Or, maybe they had nothing to do with who was coming. These could have been the businesses that were looking to hire.

If this is the case, I think MC and Career Services should have more control over the businesses that they allow to come to the school. Of course the ones that have been coming can come, but bring in some variety and reach out to others who may possibly be looking to hire some fresh talent.

However, as college students, we don’t want to assume the worst. We just want more for all students and not just one particular group. We want to feel like a part of this campus just like everyone else. We want to know that we have worked so hard to be able to attend the career fair at hopes of finding a job.

So, Career Services, will you help us out and allow us the chance to shine and make our school proud?