Entertainment in the Face of Coronavirus / By: Morgan Miller, Reporter

To say that the coronavirus pandemic has had an unprecedented impact on everyday life is a vast understatement.

With countries instituting travel restrictions, grocery stores being wiped clean, schools closing down, sporting events cancelled, and mass gatherings of people being banned, the effects of COVID-19 have twisted the very notion of normalcy in terms of how people live their lives.

Not even the entertainment industry has been spared.

Broadway has been temporarily shut down, late night talk shows are being conducted without live audiences, the Met Gala has been postponed, and Saturday Night Live has suspended its upcoming shows. Additionally, many anticipated TV shows and blockbusters have had their release dates pushed back, or productions halted altogether in the wake of COVID-19.

No Time to Die, the next installment of the James Bond franchise, was originally scheduled for release this April. Now, that release date has been pushed to November in the hopes that the virus will be contained by then. Fast and Furious 9 has been slated to be released in April of 2021 as opposed to its original May 2020 date. A Quiet Place Part II and Mulan, despite having already held their world premieres, have both suspended wider release for the time being. Mission Impossible 7, which was in the process of being filmed in Venice, had its production shut down. Marvel’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings had its production suspended during shooting in Australia.

In addition to film, numerous television shows have also seen their productions shut down or suspended in order to keep cast and crew members safe. These include shows like Riverdale, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Grey’s Anatomy, Stranger Things, The Walking Dead, and Chicago Fire, among many others.

More than just the films and shows themselves, celebrities within the entertainment industry have also felt the effects of COVID-19.

Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson, were recently diagnosed with the virus while in Australia for a film. Both were hospitalized for a short while, but they have since been released. Additionally, Idris Elba also recently tested positive and has reportedly been in self-isolation since his diagnosis.

Given all of this, it’s easy to have a dismal outlook on things. Entertainment is a form of escapism for many people, so to have that suspended is a painful reminder of how pressing the current circumstances are. However, I would encourage people to try to view this news in a better light than what it may seem. No one’s life is worth a trip to the movie theaters or production on a show, so having these delays in the entertainment industry is another way we can come together in our effort to combat the spread of coronavirus. Moreover, there are plenty of things we can do at home to keep ourselves occupied as we try to ride out the worst of this virus.

When asked how she plans to spend her newfound time away from campus, MC junior Grace Morgan said, “I will probably reread some books or watch TV. My family likes to play board games, so that might be another way to keep myself entertained.”

Adding to this, MC sophomore McKenzie Hanson says, “My family’s been renting a lot of movies and having game nights! I’m also planning on keeping up with friends via FaceTime and trying to keep somewhat of a daily routine.”

With these sentiments in mind, there are plenty of ways we can still enjoy our days in the absence of new entertainment. Try to find joy in the little things during this time. Continue to pray for those affected by COVID-19 across the globe.

And keep washing those hands!