Laying Down The Law, MC Style / By: Austin LaBrot, News Editor

The Mississippi College School of Law is in the heart of Jackson. Nearby are the State Capitol Building, the Mississippi Department of Education, the Mississippi Supreme Court, and other lower courts.

Only two law schools dominate the state: The University of Mississippi School of Law in Oxford and MC Law.

MC Law offers two types of degrees: A Juris Doctor (JD) and a Master of Laws (LLM). For those aspiring to become a practicing attorney, a JD is required. An LLM degree is not required to be a practicing attorney. Law studies is one where a doctorate degree is typically obtained before a master’s.

Mississippi College did not always have a law school. MC Law began as the Jackson School of Law in 1930. In 1975, the school of law merged with MC. In the late 1970s, MC planned on moving the law school to the main campus in Clinton.

However, the law school building was generously donated to the school, so MC Law remained in Jackson. Think of the law school and Mississippi College as the United States: The lower 48 states represent the main campus in Clinton while the law school is like Alaska or Hawaii.

MC Law offers seven law centers on campus. Those include Bioethics and Health law, Business and Tax law, Family and Children’s law, Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution law, Public Service law, International and Comparative law, and Civil law. These centers allow law students to find a niche of law they like and gain real-world application.

Another aspect of MC Law that other law schools lack is a summer start program. Incoming law students can choose to begin their freshman year in July. For the month of July, students gain a basic intro to law, how to write briefs (because there’s no APA or Chicago Style in the courtroom) and learn how to study law.

Overall, MC Law is a unique offset to the main campus. Housed in one building with a parking lot 20 feet from the front door, it’s the little things that make our law school valuable.