Transition to Online Classes/by Megan Hendricks

Due to COVID-19, schools all over the world have made a drastic transition to online classes, and this is not how some individuals anticipated finishing the rest of their semester.

Many students have gone into a panic! It’s more about the thought of not being on campus, sitting in a class and hanging out with your friends. However, the number one worry for college students are: Seniors.

These particular students had plans to graduate and celebrate. Now they have to cancel their events for a later date. People are now working from home, and some are being furloughed. Parents are now homeschooling their kids and they have a newfound appreciation for hard working teachers who teach their kids all day. 

The coronavirus has caused people all over the world to fall ill, and some have lost their lives. Online classes can be easy for some people, but for others it requires a lot of dedication, and it can become difficult to maneuver through the semester. We can become distracted at home while trying to pay attention in a Zoom class. Your wifi can even decide to just turn off when you need it to complete your homework.

For some students wifi might not always be available due to financial reasons. Students who live in dorms on campus are concerned about whether their expenses will be reimbursed due to them not staying on campus and transitioning to online classes.

I hope that these colleges who have implemented online classes will find a reasonable way to either reimburse students or give them credit on their tuition for the following semester. These unprecedented times have caused all of us to worry about our health and our loved ones. Practicing social distancing is not easy because you want to see your family and friends. We all want to be able to go to work or school, but right now the world is facing a crisis. The quicker we stay home, the more this disease can stop spreading.

Let’s start appreciating those who fought so hard during this crisis to keep us safe. Doctors and nurses who are working 12-hour shifts to make sure that people stay alive.

Grocery store workers who are risking their lives by coming to work to make sure you and your family are fed. Truck drivers who are traveling long distances to keep us supplied with food.

We would not be able to survive without these people who must leave their homes to protect us. So let us protect them by staying home and practicing social distancing.

This is a crisis, but we will get through this together. We will lean on the word of God to get us through times that cause worry. Deuteronomy 31:6 says, “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

We will get back to life soon enough. We will get to go to the mall, hang out with our friends, go to sports events and everything else.

Stay safe!