Hey, Seniors. How Are You Doing?/by Marquisha Mathis

Are you angry or sad? Do you want to fight the world for what has happened within the past month? Are you still shocked by the recent events?

It’s been a little bit over a month since the coronavirus has taken the world by storm. Universities, sports events, restaurants, etc. have been closed down. We’re trying to keep up with this thing called social distancing.

Social distancing has caused us to stay at home and stay at least six feet away from people. During this time of year, we’re missing out on the crawfish boils, birthday parties, and going see a good movie in the theaters. Hopefully it gets better because we’ll miss summer vacation too!

Many college seniors are missing their last everything else that goes with their senior year. They’re hurting, and they’re upset. They have lost out on their last special moment as college students. And to make it even harder, graduation has been pushed back.

So, I want to ask, “Seniors, how are you doing?” You’ve dealt with one heartbreak after another. You may feel like the world is against you. I’m sure you’ve cried multiple times and are in shock by what is happening.

Even if you couldn’t have anything else, you had graduation. This would have been where all of your family and friends came out to witness what was going to be the best day of your life.

You have already taken your graduation photos or were in the process of taking them. You were having your invitations done, so you could send them out to people.

Everything was planned until it wasn’t. You don’t know what to do anymore now that you’re sitting at home and taking your last classes online for that matter. You’re still going to get your degree, and you will be able to walk across the stage because it’s not your fault, and nothing else should be taken away from you.

Along with graduation photos and invitations, you have started your job search process. You were applying and interviewing for every position possible. You were ready to see what company you wanted to work for and move on to the next step post-graduate.

Some of you are looking into grad school, but exactly how is this process working? Is it on hold as well, or will it go on as planned? There are so many questions and not enough answers. Trust and believe, you’ll get your degree in May, but for now graduation is going to have to wait.

I cannot imagine how you’re feeling, but I’m here with you. Soon enough you’ll get your questions answered, you’ll walk across the stage and shake your president’s hand, and you’ll step into this thing called the working world.

For now, I just want to know how you’re doing. I want to let you know that you will get what you have worked so hard for. It may not be under the circumstances we are in right now, but you will have everything in the end.