Scenes for Quarantine/by Meredith Stratmann

By now, there’s only a few weeks of school left. Everyone is tired of being cooped up in their homes with what seems like nothing to do. I encourage you to pick up a new hobby, but if you’re like everyone else, the easiest thing to do is start a new show. I’ve watched a fair share of new shows and movies on Netflix and Amazon Prime and I’m here to give you the hot take on what to watch and what to leave alone. 

Let’s start with a gem of a show–Better Call Saul. This prequel to Breaking Bad is made by the same people and has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It follows the story of Saul Goodman, who goes from working in a mail room to a fully fledged lawyer with questionable morals. Better Call Saul is equally as witty and well-made as Breaking Bad and I actually like it better, which is saying something.  The fourth season dropped recently so there’s plenty of episodes to keep you entertained. 11/10 would recommend

A new movie that is well worth the watch is Love Wedding Repeat. This delightful romantic comedy is about Jack, who tries to make sure his sister’s wedding day goes according to plan, and also woo the girl of his dreams. It’s one of the funniest and least cringey romantic comedies I’ve ever watched and I would happily watch it again soon. 10/10 would recommend 

Unfortunately, not all cinematic pieces are as well made. Such is the case for Too Hot to Handle. I’m ashamed to admit this is the trashiest show I’ve ever watched. The premise is that stunning people addicted to dating apps and the hookup culture are placed on an island and then pushed to better themselves and their relationships by abstaining from all sexual contact. It’s very bingeable and there are a great variety of beautiful people from all over the world, but it is not quality television. 4/10 would not recommend 

If you’re looking for a dating show that maintains some class, try Dating Around. This show is six stand alone episodes in which each episode focuses on a series of blind first dates for a lucky man or woman. They have drinks, then dinner, and if the couple is hitting it off, sometimes they hang out after dinner. After all of the blind dates, the title single gets to pick one person to go on a second date with. Dating Around is classy, takes place in New York, and worth the watch. 8/10 would recommend 

If you don’t have Netflix, head over to Amazon Prime and watch Troop Zero. This movie is absolutely precious. It follows the fictional story of Christmas Flint, a little girl who forms a misfit scouting group in order to have a shot to leave a message for extraterrestrial life. It’s a classic tearjerker and worth sitting down with your mom to watch. 10/10 would recommend 

I realize these titles listed here are just a small portion of all of the movies and shows out there, but that’s what I’ve been watching. My next show to catch up on is Ozark.  I would also recommend The Trials of Gabriel Fernandez, You, Love is Blind, and Tiger King if you haven’t caught up on those. All in all, enjoy this increased time at home. We’re in college and home may look very different after graduation. Use this time to start a new show with your family.