Staying Physically Fit/by Jordon Gray

If you are like me, then you are struggling to stay fit during this pandemic. With public gyms being closed, at-home workouts seem to be the way to go. The problem is that working out at home is kind of difficult. For many people, home is a safe haven and place of rest. It can be challenging to reprogram our minds during this time. Getting up early in the day if you are a night owl or just getting out of bed when you know you don’t have anywhere to go are prime examples of struggling with mindset during quarantine.

Well, I have some solutions to trick our minds into getting up and making the best out of any situation. The best thing to do is either go in your garage or somewhere quiet in your neighborhood. Once there, YouTube is your best friend to find simple yet effective workouts. If you are just getting started, do not put too much pressure on yourself to work out every day. Start small to work your body and mind towards being physically active gradually. I would suggest finding three days out of the week to get yourself accumulated. Another tip is to pick days out of the week where the weather will be really nice. I seem to have the lowest energy when it is raining or cold outside and find that working out when it is sunny gives me an extra boost of energy. What makes working out so amazing, especially during these times, is the significant benefits it provides. 

“I am constantly doing activities around my home, and I walk at least 3 miles once a week around my neighborhood,” said Megan Hendricks, a Mississippi College student. “It relieves stress and makes me feel at ease because this pandemic has not been easy.” Times are forever changing, and it has never been more imperative to stay fit and healthy. The most crucial step to take to achieve this is to simply start. It doesn’t matter if it’s once a week or every day, just getting some form of exercise is beneficial.

Lastly, I urge everyone to stay safe and listen to your public officials. There are nearly 40,000 COVID-19 deaths in the country and 151 in Mississippi. Even with everything mentioned, it means absolutely nothing if you are putting yourself and others in harm’s way. Workout safely to reap the benefits of your effort, and be responsible.