What Are the Students Saying?/by Kienna Van Dellen

In the past month, Mississippi College has had to change the way they operate drastically. Students switched to online Zoom classes, professors started teaching from home, and the MC leaders have had to make numerous decisions in a short amount of time. 

On Thursday, April 16, 2020, MC President Blake Thompson publicly announced that the MC board of trustees had approved a plan that will provide students with prorated credits or refunds for the unused portion of their Spring 2020 room and board charges. “COVID-19 has disrupted our daily lives and left our futures uncertain, but it has not changed the love and concern the Mississippi College community feels for our students,” said Dr. Thompson. The refund amount takes into consideration the student’s type of housing and meal plan. Students must complete a form of where they wish to direct their funds by April 30. They have also created an MCcares fund in order to further assist students in crisis. 

For MC students currently scattered across the globe, this brings us closer to our college home. It shows how much MC truly cares about each of their students and what struggles they are currently facing. 

So what are the students saying about the refunds?

Many are expressing their sheer gratitude towards the staff at MC for making these funds available. Various students are facing the difficulty of losing their job, and their parents now unemployed, making this seemingly small amount so meaningful during this pandemic. For students like myself paying their own way through college, every little bit helps when it comes to saving money. Some are moving their balance to roll over to next semester to assist with payments; then, this takes off some future stress and pressure on both students and parents. “I think MC did the right thing. For a private institution to return funds without obligation reveals much about the institution’s priorities. Clearly, students are MC’s first priority,” said MC junior Kyle Hamrick of Corner, Alabama.

While some students are confused as to how their balance has been established, the team at MC has agreed to walk through with the students how they have calculated everything to get the final numbers, trying to clarify any confusion. The whole situation of COVID-19 is frustrating and scary, so most students agree that rather than complaining about specific amounts, they are happy to get some refunds. The world is going through a financial struggle right now, and the students of MC are grateful to get a portion back to assist with their future.