On Wearing Masks/by Kyle Hamrick, Editor in Chief

COVID-19 has made a permanent mark on us. We will forever remember the last six months for the changes wrought on our lives. Nevertheless, the pandemic is not over; there is still much we have to do before we can put this virus behind us. One of those things is wearing a mask and social distancing in public. Here are a few reasons why you should wear a mask on campus. 

First, the campus administration has deemed it necessary to wear a mask so that MC can work its way back to normal operation. I am not alone when I write that I want to stay on this campus for as long as I can. As a senior teetering on the edge of the metaphorical nest, I want to savor every moment this place has to offer. If I am to pay for the full college experience, I expect to receive the full college experience; and right now, the key to achieving the full college experience is shaped like a protective mask. 

So wear your mask!

Second, you are not invincible and neither is your neighbor. I understand that most of us are in the primes of our lives, the golden days upon which we will look back and sigh, but notice that I did not write “all.” I wrote “most” because there are some people our age who have certain chronic health conditions that require certain protections to keep on living. You do not know what you might be spreading, and you do not know to whom you might be spreading it. You might breathe on somebody who has to run home between classes and check on an immunocompromised relative. You might breathe on somebody who has cystic fibrosis, for whom a common cold could turn into an ordeal. These are just examples, but the point of this is, you do not know how your actions will impact somebody else.

So wear your mask!

The third reason you should wear a mask is because college is not high school. It might feel like it sometimes, with all the cliques and politics and hooplah, but in reality there is a difference. People are trying to form their futures here. People are trying to find out who they are and what they are meant to do here. 

I’m trying to make a career as a freelance writer for a local paper. Someone else is trying to become a nurse, and would much rather learn their noble craft on a real person in a hospital rather than a stuffed animal via Zoom chat. Another person is trying to become an entrepreneur, and needs to be in the Clinton area to get their dream business started.

The list goes on, and on, and on. The point is, MC students need to be at MC. There are many good things about online learning, but it can never compare to learning in a traditional classroom where you can ask a question in real time. Characters and minds and careers are best made in person, in an MC classroom, in the MC community.

So wear your mask!

It is incumbent upon all of us to wear our masks and keep each other accountable. As Christians, we are called to love our neighbor as we love ourselves, to look after each other and “the least of these,” and to “render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s.” The time has come to be selfless, not selfish.  

So wear your mask!