Updates on the Unreleased: Movies During COVID-19/by Morgan Miller

COVID-19’s effects on the entertainment industry have been felt far and wide in the months since March. 

Broadway has been shut down. Production on many films and TV shows has been suspended for the time being. Movie theaters have been closed across much of the country, only just now daring a hesitant reopening. Films that would’ve been released have been postponed time and time again, so much so that dates and months are beginning to blur. Fortunately, I have compiled a list of new release dates for some of the movies that would have otherwise enjoyed a normal, theatrical run:

Disney’s live-action remake of Mulan, which was just under two weeks shy of its release in March before COVID-19 came in full force, is scheduled to be moved to Disney Plus on Sept. 4 for a fee of $29.99 to subscribers. In countries where theaters have reopened, it will have a regular theatrical release.

Tenet, the film that would have been Christopher Nolan’s summer blockbuster, will now be released in select theaters during the Labor Day weekend. 

Wonder Woman 1984, originally scheduled for release in June of 2020, is now slated to be released on Oct. 2.

Marvel’s Black Widow, originally meant to be released on May 1, 2020, is holding out for a release on Nov. 6. 

No Time to Die, the next installment of the James Bond franchise, will be released on Nov. 20 as opposed to its original date in April of 2020.

Soul, an animated film from Disney and Pixar, is also scheduled for a Nov. 20 release alongside No Time to Die.

The Eternals, another film from Marvel, would have come out in November. However, the studio gave that slot to Black Widow after having to change its original release date. The Eternals is now slated to come out on February 12, 2021.

F9, the ninth installment of the Fast and Furious franchise, is scheduled for a release on April 2, 2021, the same date that they originally planned for the tenth Fast and Furious film to come out.

A Quiet Place Part II, another movie meant to be released right as COVID-19 disrupted normal life in March, has been given a new release date of April 23, 2021.

Top Gun: Maverick, a long-awaited sequel to the ‘80s hit, is looking at a new release date of July 2, 2021 as opposed to its original slot in June of this year.

As a result of all the shuffling around, movies like Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings, multiple sequels to Avatar, and various sequels to Star Wars have also all been slated for later-than-anticipated releases in the years to come. 

Given these new release dates, all of which are tentative at best, things may seem discouraging for film lovers. New movies always seem to highlight the years in which they are released, so the current delays can paint 2020 in a light more dismal than what it already has been. However, I would encourage others to find a bright side even in situations such as this. Delaying films, while not optimal, is done with the ideas of safety and wellness in mind for the general public. It gives people things to look forward to after having experienced so much disheartening information in the previous months. Because of this, I shall eagerly await the day where the simple joy of sitting in a theater with friends is within our reach once more.