Chadwick Boseman, Gone Too Soon/by Marquisha Mathis

The first time I saw the film “42,” I knew there was something special about it, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. Maybe it was the performances, the musical score, the direction, or all of the above. However, I kept saying to myself, “Who is this man playing the role of Jackie Robinson like no other?” It was the one and only Chadwick Boseman.

I heard the worst news on Aug. 28. When I saw him trending on Twitter, I wondered what it could be. I never thought it would be the worst-case scenario. He had died from stage IV colon cancer. I was devastated and didn’t know what to do. I’m convinced that 2020 is purposefully messing with me. First Kobe Bryant, now Chadwick Boseman. I had no idea he was sick. It broke millions of hearts around the world, especially those who were close to him. 

People were so quick to talk about him losing weight without actually waiting for him to talk about what he had been dealing with. Now, he’s gone.

This is another awful day that I have to be reminded of, one where another American actor’s life ended abruptly. Boseman was one of the best to watch on screen. He made it hard to turn the channel because he was just that good. Although he was known for numerous roles, he really began to get his recognition when he starred in the hit film “Black Panther.” 

This movie made so many African Americans proud. We had the best year, and that film was something that would be remembered. We got the chance to sit and watch a Black man be the main character of a movie as well as a hero for so many around the world.

He changed the perspective of what a Black man is supposed to be. They are supposed to be violent, upset, and so many other things that they are stereotyped as, but he was different. He showed us that our stories are meant to be told in a distinct way that allows us to see of what we are capable.

Boseman shined a light like no other, making us feel like a part of his world. It’s simple–I want everyone to remember him for the man he was, for the memories he created, for the smiles he left, for the many “Wakanda Forever” poses that he did, for the numerous award shows that he attended, and so much more.

I want to remember him as a star, a winner, and a legend. One who everybody liked and wanted to be around. He told stories with purpose. I’m happy he left us with a lot of things to look back on, including movies, interviews, photos, etc.

There won’t be anyone else like him. He will be missed dearly. The movement that was started will never be forgotten. I think it should be said one more time because he deserves it–Wakanda Forever!