Residence Life Brings New Air to Campus/by Kienna Van Dellen

All residential buildings on campus will be receiving new air conditioning systems to combat COVID-19. The Ward Mechanical Company has already started installing Plasma Air in each building. Plasma Air uses bipolar ionization technology to purify indoor air at the source of contamination.

“Depending on the environment, indoor air can be up to 100 times more polluted than outdoor air – teeming with volatile organic compounds and microorganisms that contain or attach to viruses, bacteria, fungal spores, and pollen,” according to the Plasma Air company. 

If there is not enough air movement or ventilation or air is not cleaned correctly, it can further spread the virus. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, “Indoor pollution sources that release gases or particles into the air are the primary cause of indoor air quality problems in living spaces.” 

MC, as an institution, is committed to doing all they can to protect the campus. A way that campus has found to increase safety on campus is to install new cleaning systems.

“They have the technology and ability to lower the risk of students contracting viruses or bacterial infections while living in the residence halls,” said Julie Kerr, Director of Residence Life. “They will also help with some of the smells that our older buildings have. So it’s a win-win: we help keep students safe, and the halls will smell better.”

“Our technology produces a natural bio-climate rich in positive and negative oxygen ions,” states the Plasma Air Company website. “The negative ions contain an extra electron, while the positive ions are missing an electron resulting in an unstable condition. In an effort to restabilize, these bipolar ions seek out atoms and molecules in the air to trade electrons with.” 

Essentially, through this neutralization, the system purifies the air of viruses, bacteria, and odors in our buildings that we breathe in every day that could be dangerous to our health.

MC is continually working to make campus safer each day. Bringing new and cleaner air into our lungs is just another way to slow the spread of the virus, making sure each student, staff member, and faculty member is as safe and healthy as they can be every time they step on campus.