Enola Holmes Blends Mystery with Empowerment/by Marquisha Mathis

“My name is Enola, which backwards spells alone. To be a Holmes, you must find your own path. My brothers have. My mother has. And I must too.”

“Enola Holmes,” starring Millie Bobby Brown, recently dropped on Netflix, and it is already on the streaming site’s Top Ten in the U.S. chart.

Many of us already know Brown from the hit show “Stranger Things” on Netflix, so it’s no surprise that she would create yet another hit for all of us to see.

Enola pedals through this movie on her bike with happiness, with sunshine, and most importantly, with her wits. As she begins a conversation with the audience, you know that she is unstoppable. And that’s just the start of Enola. This movie depicts firsthand what kind of character she’s going to be: the perfect picture of her brother Sherlock Holmes, a true detective.

What happens next would be the beginning of Enola’s journey. It has always been Enola and her mom, Eudoria. Her mother taught her everything, encompassing the center of Enola’s world. That is, until Enola wakes up one morning to find Eudoria gone.

However, her mom left her with all of the necessary skills Enola needs to face life head on. But what Eudoria didn’t know is that her daughter would use those same skills and go on a hunt to find her. The only thing standing in Enola’s way are her brothers Sherlock and Mycroft.

According to them, Enola needs a real education. She needs to be seen in society like every other girl. Mycroft gets in touch with Miss Harrison, the headmistress at a boarding school who tells Enola that she teaches girls how to be ladies and how to be ready for the world.

This film showcases that Enola doesn’t want to be like them. She is who her mom taught her to be. To stand up for herself, to speak up, to fight, to be a Holmes, and to make her own path.

During this time, she experiences much from her travels to England in search of her mother. She meets a young lord by the name of Viscount Tewkesbury, who later becomes one of the most important people on her journey.

They help each other along the way and develop a friendship like no other.

Enola spends the majority of the movie searching for her mother while becoming her own woman. She also learns some words of wisdom while refusing to allow anything to stand in the way of her mission. Her brother Sherlock soon comes to realize that, telling Enola at a pivotal moment, “She always found you quite extraordinary. As do I, Enola Holmes. The choice is always yours. Whatever society may claim, it can’t control you. As Mother has proven.”

He learns that Enola is a force to be reckoned with, finally seeing her for who she is by the film’s end: an extraordinary young woman.

Some of the most special moments of this movie are the ones where Enola allows herself to cry and show emotion, moments where she is truly able to think about her life and how her mother shaped it.

What Enola longs for from the film’s beginning finally comes by its end. Her mother shows up to explain why she chose to leave, telling Enola, “I didn’t leave you because I didn’t love you. I left for you because I couldn’t bear to have this world be your future. So I had to fight. You have to make some noise if you want to be heard.”

What’s really interesting about Enola’s character is that she’s known as an “unbroken soul.” Throughout the movie, she carries this image of having to be on top of things all the time, and that image is put to the test when her mom leaves.

However, Enola finds her way and herself. “I now see that being alone doesn’t mean I have to be lonely. Mother never wanted that. She wanted me to find my freedom. My future. My purpose. I’m a detective, I’m a decipherer, and I’m a finder of lost souls. My life is my own. And the future is up to us.”