Time for a Cross-Cultural Understanding Class/by Marquisha Mathis

Mississippi College is a great university that offers some very unique classes for students to take over the course of four years.

However, it’s important that students really take classes that will shape their future and give them the knowledge they will need when they graduate.

In the course catalog at MC, it was previously required that a student take six hours of social sciences. Of those six hours, you could either take Business Skills for Life, American National Government, Introduction to Psychology, Cross-Cultural Understanding, Sociology, Principles of Macroeconomics, or any philosophy course. 

Many students don’t focus excessively about particular classes except what is required to graduate in their subject fields.

If you’re a biology major, you really want to focus on your science classes.  For your social science classes, you may choose to take psychology or sociology rather than government or Cross-Cultural Understanding because it may make more sense for your major.

You may be a communication major, so you may take psychology or Business Skills for Life mainly because you’re interested in the marketing route or may be minoring in psychology.

There were six hours worth of the social sciences where students could choose from a range of options, but the same classes are being taken every semester. Why is that? 

And what makes it even harder to think about the other classes that are offered is that now MC has taken away a number of hours that used to be required. Social sciences comprised six hours, and now it’s down to three hours.

Freshmen and transfers come in ready to start college, and more importantly looking to create their schedule and sit in class. The first two years consist of core classes, which are usually chosen based on how easy they are or having conversations with upperclassmen who may have taken something else. This may sway their decision in some way.

However, what about a class where you can learn more about other cultures? That would be very important in the society in which we live.

Think about taking Cross-Cultural Understanding as your social science course. It’s one that always seems to get overlooked in the catalog because you don’t think about it too much if you’re not a modern languages major.

But this class gives students the chance to meet other students from all walks of life. And if you think about it, we are already learning more as a nation.

A number of students that have taken this cross-cultural class who are not part of that major include Solomon Zinn, who’s a history major; Cranesha Roberson, a social work major; and Taylor Milligan, a nursing major.

MC is doing their part in providing these courses to us. We have to be willing to want to take them. Many of us come in focused so much more on the degree rather than the experience. However, these are the classes that give us some sense of what we see every day in our lives.

Being a student at MC, I always knew I wanted to take Cross-Cultural Understanding by the time I reached my sophomore year of college. It was important for me to know more about the world around me, as well as the different types of cultures that exist.

Professor Ashley Krason, who currently teaches Cross-Cultural Understanding said, “No matter your degree, you will meet people who are not like you.”

Cross-Cultural Understanding is a class that allows you to think critically, to look at things from every perspective. We all have opinions that we need to express. What makes it even more fascinating is that if we have the opportunity to hear what others have to say, we get to share in that company with them.

Many of us want classes that will allow us to see diversity happening on this campus. However, it’s important to note that this class is in the core curriculum for us to see.

Don’t think about your major. Take the class because when you leave MC, you will be interacting cross-culturally with everyone you meet.