The Haunting of Bly Manor Creates Both Emotion and Scariness/by Marquisha Mathis

A gigantic roller coaster of emotion and scariness all wrapped in one. 

That’s how the new show “The Haunting of Bly Manor” on Netflix can be described. It is the trending follow-up series to “The Haunting of Hill House,” another hit on Netflix.

It opens with an older woman known as “The Storyteller” sitting on her couch before suddenly making her way to a wedding dinner. But she is mysterious, and no one can figure out why she’s there or who she’s related to. However, what’s even more intriguing is that she’s quiet throughout the entire event until everyone around her begins to tell stories. 

Bly Manor makes its way to the scene. Danielle Clayton, one of the main characters of the show, is looking for a job. She makes her way around the city. She interviews with Henry Wingrave, uncle to the children Flora and Miles whom she’s trying to become an au pair to.

As a nine episode arc, this show did wonderfully with the pacing of the story and making every detail follow in an order that would not confuse the audience. For example, when Dani is getting ready to move to Bly Manor, you see her in her room with the mirrors covered up. It leaves the audience questioning, “Why?”

The show starts off showing us the haunting, the ghosts, why Dani should not leave the room at night, what Flora is seeing, what Miles will do next, and tops it all off with emotion when you are least expecting it.

What’s interesting about this show is the direction the director, writers, and producers take to tell the story. Dani Clayton comes to care deeply for the children, and you can see it through every reaction she has.

However, Flora Wingrave is one of the characters who sticks out the most. As she introduces herself to Dani and shows her things around the house while creating conversation, her go-to line is, “It was perfectly splendid.” She carries herself with that line, and it really speaks volumes. And to top it all off, what makes it even better is the differentiation she provides the audience when she says, “It was perfectly dreadful.” It doesn’t matter which one she says; she accumulates them so well in every scene where it’s meant to be either happy or sad.

Miles Wingrave, on the other hand, is a character you feel bad for sometimes. However, you always wonder what he’ll do next. He has his moments where you want to be furious with him, but you can’t because you know his situation.

Then there’s Peter Quint and Rebecca Jessel who are also a part of the mystery, something which ends badly. Jessel is the first au pair for the children before Dani gets there. Her story is intriguing because when she first arrives, she finds her place. She’s one of the characters who you know quickly is going to get involved with Quint. He is bad news from the beginning, but he always gets his way no matter what.

Jamie is a solid character. She is the gardener who becomes really close with Dani. Henry Wingrave is an uncle who never makes any effort, but you know he’s sorry for the guilt he holds onto. The rest of the series showcases other characters such as the Lady in the Lake, Flora and Miles’ parents, and how they came to be. 

As the show gets closer to its end, things that you thought were there aren’t anymore, which allows the writers to pull at your heartstrings. 

There’s both the future and the past in Bly Manor. It fills in every piece of the puzzle in terms of who the characters were in their past as well as how they are in the future.

The show is made so that the audience gets caught up looking at the characters in the present while having to remember that the story is being told in the future.

Everything was done so well in this spin-off. Everyone has their big moments for their portrayal in this show. Even “The Storyteller,” the character narrating for everyone, remains a mystery until the very end, a final secret offered by Bly Manor to its viewers.