“Spider-Man 3” Goes into Production/by Morgan Miller

“It’s time for Spider-Man 3. Let’s go!” exclaimed Tom Holland on a recent Instagram story, elation in his voice after having just landed in Atlanta to begin the project.

The news is official confirmation that Marvel has started production on the highly-anticipated sequel to 2019’s “Spider-Man: Far From Home.” The ending of that film showed Peter Parker with his identity essentially exposed to the world, a bombshell revelation that left audiences speechless. Not long after, Sony pulled the character altogether out of the MCU for a while after having disagreements with the studio. Marvel was eventually able to negotiate the character back into its future films, but before any meaningful work could be done in pre-production, COVID-19 crippled the film industry.

While that industry is still not back to where it was (consistent delays of theatrical releases are a testament to that), many films are going back into production in an effort to combine safety guidelines with the need to get work done. Now, “Spider-Man 3” is the latest movie to join that line-up.

Not much is known about the film’s storyline beyond the fact that all the actors normally seen in this corner of Marvel’s neighborhood have reprised their roles. Besides the obvious Holland, this also includes Zendaya as MJ, Jacob Batalon as Ned, Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan, and Marisa Tomei as Aunt May. 

However, there are a couple of actors reported to be in the film that might raise some eyebrows regarding the plot.

Benedict Cumberbatch has been reported to reprise his role as Dr. Strange for this film, supposedly filling the role of Peter Parker’s mentor. More surprisingly, Jamie Foxx has reportedly been in talks to reprise his role of Electro for the movie. That comes as unexpected given that the last time Foxx played Electro was over six years ago when Andrew Garfield still held the role of Spider-Man.

There’s no telling what sort of plot Marvel will provide viewers with when the film eventually comes out. For now, however, the news of “Spider-Man 3’s” production is heartening for both superhero fans and the film industry as a whole, showing that even massive movies like this can strike a balance between work and safety guidelines during a pandemic in an effort to bring beloved stories back to audiences.