“Hocus Pocus” Sequel Is on Its Way/by Morgan Miller

For a considerable amount of time, there have been rumors swirling around as to whether or not Disney will develop a sequel to “Hocus Pocus,” a Halloween film that has become beloved among audiences in recent years. Those rumors were eventually confirmed to be true, and now, more details have been released on the planned project.

There is no official release date in sight just yet, but it has been confirmed that Disney plans to release the sequel on its streaming platform, Disney+, for audiences to see.

While nothing has been confirmed regarding the cast, all three actresses who played the Sanderson Sisters have been proponents of the sequel. Bette Midler, who played Winifred in the original film, has been particularly vocal about her excitement surrounding the chance to come back to her character.

“We wanna fly again,” said the actress in a recent interview. “I hope Disney+ is a big success and I hope we get to do it, because [Winifred] is of course one of my favorite characters…I can’t wait to read the script. We’re gonna see what happens.”

Disney has also chosen Adam Shankman to direct the project, notable for having directed Hairspray in previous years. That film’s jovial tone and musical quality could make him a good fit for a sequel to “Hocus Pocus” if he stays on the project. 

The promise of a sequel to “Hocus Pocus” might be exciting to some, but for others, the news might feel like a new addition to the long line of sequels already being churned out by the film industry. This sequel, however, feels different from the others. 

Since the setting of the movie is one rooted in magic, it provides an easy and believable way for the Sanderson Sisters to come back if someone wanted them to. Given that, the idea of a follow-up movie is not completely unfounded. A book sequel to the film explored that same idea in 2018, revolving around Max and Allison’s daughter accidentally summoning the witches.

There’s no accurate way to predict what sort of plot the sequel to “Hocus Pocus” will provide, but with Disney taking measures to bring the film to life coupled with enthusiasm from the cast, it promises a return to a light-hearted story that has become a staple of Halloween movies. 

Will the effort be worth it? Or will it be another glorious sequel that, as Winifred would put it, makes us sick? Only time will tell.