MC Men’s Golf Wraps Up Fall Season/by Charlie Williams

Competing in three tournaments throughout the month of October, the Choctaws went up against competition from other GSC schools as well as local junior colleges and other division 2 schools.  

At the Derrall Foreman Intercollegiate, the Choctaws finished third with a strong showing from senior Force Choi who finished tied for fifth.  The next week, at the Matt Dyas Invitational, the Choctaws finished sixth, struggling to keep up with the competition. Force Choi again was their top performer tying for seventh overall.  However, they finished the season strong, coming in fourth at the Music City Invitational.  Senior Adam Murphree led the Choctaws finishing 11th, and sophomore Grant Mahaney also impressed, shooting a 69 on the second day of the tournament.  

On the fall season, Adam Murphree said, “I feel like we all competed together really well as a team, not just a bunch of individuals…” That team effort allowed the Choctaws to greatly improve their average finish in tournaments over last season, where they were routinely near the bottom of the standings.  Murphree said that he saw the most improvement off the tee this season as the Choctaws got a lot better at hitting the fairway on their drives.  

Assistant coach Zach Anderson reiterated this by saying that while they struggled with their long game last season they were improving their ability to put themselves in the right position off the tee. Anderson said that while the team did still “throw some shots away,” they were able to fight through that and pick up some valuable experience.  That experience was something Anderson hit on multiple times, saying, “We had five or six new guys so we really wanted to see them get some experience with the returners…” He also stressed that while the new guys sometimes struggled to put themselves in good positions by taking smart shots, he saw improvement and expected to continue to see it throughout the offseason.   

Going into next season, the Choctaws will look to build on their success this season and continue to improve this offseason. Both Murphree and Anderson stressed seeing a lot of hard work this offseason. Anderson continued to point to the importance of the team working on putting itself in good positions this offseason, saying their course management was one of the most important things to work on.  

Speaking on the team’s outlook this winter, Murphree said, “We are really determined to get better this offseason; we’re really wanting to win a tournament soon … We’re really determined to contend in a lot of tournaments.”