Student Check-Up/by Marquisha Mathis

What a semester it has been here at Mississippi College! From the time we started classes on Aug. 17, we have been working nonstop. The papers, projects, presentations, tests, and quizzes have taken a big toll on us. We are still working with few hours of sleep, trying to get this work done.

We’re constantly studying, and there’s not enough hours in the day to do everything. It’s overwhelming because when we finish one thing we find we have 10 more things to do, and we’re wondering where the break is. Luckily for some of us, our professors have checked in to see how we are doing.

The semester has been cut short due to COVID-19, and the university wants to keep us safe. However, we are cramming way more into our daily schedules than normal. The fall semester usually consists of a Labor Day break, a fall break, and a Thanksgiving break, before coming back for finals before Christmas.

However, there were no breaks, except for Wednesday, Oct. 21, when President Dr. Thompson gave students a day of rest, to use that time to study, sleep, and enjoy themselves. Instead of having all of the normal breaks, we will go home a day before Thanksgiving and won’t be back until January.

This is not a matter of complaining, but how are we doing in the semester as a whole? I didn’t know how much this semester was going to be with the little time that we have. When I would finish with one assignment, it was like a sigh of relief, but more and more came. I had projects, speeches, and newsletters sometimes all due in one week.

I didn’t think about it too much because I thought I would have the weekends to rest — not a chance. I do work seven days a week, and I’m lucky to get at least a two-hour break sometimes. 

MC students have really been through the ringer this semester, but it’s different for everyone. This has been a hard school year so far, and many students can relate.

Senior Takyia Wilson said, “This has been a rough semester for me. It’s finally starting to ease up, though.”

“The semester has started off well and at a good pace, but now I feel overwhelmed but motivated to end the semester right,” said senior J’Mya Wells.

Junior Camryn Johnson said, “I’m glad we’re at the end. It’s been a long yet interesting semester. I need about a week of sleep.”

This semester has been short, sad, jam-packed, and filled with so much. We’re counting down the days until we can finally get a much-needed break away from school, and catch up on some rest and relaxation. 

We were so eager to get back, but now we see the reality that we’re dealing with when we don’t really have room to even take a break; nevertheless, we’re pushing through so that we can be done.