A Look at Choctaw Athletics’ Slam-Packed Spring Schedule/by Elliot Reeder

As mentioned in other articles, this is setting up to be an extremely busy semester here at MC. Here’s a quick look at what each sport’s schedule will look like this semester.

The men’s and women’s basketball teams have already begun to play, and are about midway through a GSC division-based schedule. Both teams are in the West Division along with Alabama-Huntsville (UAH), Christian Brothers, Delta State, Union, and West Alabama. The original plan was for each team to play the other five teams a total of four times each in two game series with one school hosting the same school two days in a row. There have been some postponements, but that remains the main schedule format throughout. The GSC tournament for both men’s and women’s basketball is currently scheduled for March 2-7.

The men’s and women’s track and field teams are already in the middle of their indoor season, which began the first week of January. The GSC indoor championships are currently scheduled for Feb. 16. The teams will then shift their attention towards an outdoor track season with several meets scheduled, including a home meet on March 6, before a GSC championship meet scheduled for April 29-May 1. 

The baseball team is scheduled to play a GSC-only schedule that began in early February. They are currently scheduled to play 13 series, each consisting of three games, before a GSC tournament in early May.

The softball team has recently begun their season in a tournament in Mobile, where they finished 1-2. They will play in another non-conference invitational on Feb. 12-13 before heading into GSC play, currently scheduled to consist of ten series, with a GSC tournament also scheduled for early May. 

The football team will not play a GSC schedule this spring, but are scheduled to play in one official game and then have two scrimmages. They’re scheduled to play Tarleton State on March 6 on the road, scrimmage Southern Arkansas on the road on March 13, and then host Arkansas Tech for a scrimmage on March 19. 

The men’s and women’s golf teams are both scheduled to return to play in mid to late February after getting to compete in the fall. They will both play in several tournaments before the GSC championships in mid-April.

The men’s and women’s soccer teams are both scheduled to play a GSC division-based season, with a few scrimmages mixed in. The men’s team is in a division with Christian Brothers, Delta State, Union, and West Alabama. The women’s team is in a division with those four, plus UAH. The team’s are scheduled to open GSC play on Feb. 13 (women) and 14 (men) at home against Christian Brothers. A GSC tournament is scheduled to begin on March 17. 

The men’s and women’s tennis teams are scheduled to open up play in mid-February with some non-conference matches before beginning conference play in March. A GSC tournament is currently scheduled for April 22. 

The volleyball team is also slated to compete in a GSC division-based schedule. They’re scheduled to begin play in early March and are in a division with Christian Brothers, UAH, Union, and West Alabama. A GSC tournament is scheduled for March 26-April 3.

As you can see, the months of February and March are shaping up to be some of the busiest months in athletic program history, with the whole semester looking refreshingly busy. Even though it is not nearly completely there, this is a nice pseudo-return to normal.