Pimentos Closed Due to COVID-19 Cases/by Rachel Smith

Pimentos’ light lunches of sandwiches, salads, and homemade chips have long been a staple of our campus. Pimentos is a beloved dining location where students can splurge on meal-plan points and a social location for commuters wishing to stay engaged in the campus community. But has the admired eatery seen its last day?

Mike Prince, Director of Food Services, provided insight into Pimentos’ future and on-campus dining overall. “Pimentos is only temporarily closed,” he assured students. “There was a spike in COVID-19 numbers amongst our staff, and we had to utilize our workers elsewhere.” Prince went on to affirm that the dining staff is compensating by extending the hours of Chick-Fil-A and Einstein Bros. Bagels.

Closing Pimentos was a necessary loss, but not a complete loss. Prince revealed that the restaurant “should open back up on March 1, 2021, if COVID-19 numbers don’t rise. The health of our workers is a priority.” Students are not the only ones missing Pimentos; according to Prince, “Pimentos isn’t going anywhere; it is a statement on our campus we wouldn’t want to lose.” 

Students can keep up with updated hours and accommodations in all on-campus dining facilities through Campus News update emails and by checking out the Mississippi College Campus Dining website, www.mc.edu/offices/food/.