Arts & Entertainment

Grace Morgan Gives Sneak Peek into the 2021 Arrowhead/by Morgan Miller

There is no denying that talent thrives in droves across every hill of MC’s campus. Its students are vibrant with their creativity, giving the university a shade of uniqueness that cannot be matched anywhere else.

There is perhaps no greater display of that talent than The Arrowhead, MC’s own arts and literature magazine. It displays some of the best creative works students have to offer, and it is published each spring. 

The 2021 Arrowhead is something that many students are looking forward to, so one of its staff members, Grace Morgan, was able to shed some light on what has gone into the making of this year’s edition.

Morgan is a junior from Hernando, Mississippi, majoring in graphic design with a marketing concentration. She currently serves as the assistant art editor for The Arrowhead and has been hard at work on this publication along with the other staff members since last September.

“From the beginning, I mainly created the content for our social media pages, Instagram especially, to make people aware of what we are and what we do. As of recently, I’ve been helping Anna Nolley, our head art editor, adjust and complete the layout of the magazine. We also work on small, intricate things like checking with the judges, organizing the works, and making sure everything is cropped correctly. Now, we’re almost finished with the layout and are tweaking little things.”

Morgan’s role as the assistant art editor has also allowed her to put her personal style into the magazine. “I have a very illustrative style with what I do,” she says. “That came out mostly through the logo, which was a hand-drawn font that I created. You’ll see throughout the magazine various MC illustrations that I also created. I didn’t want it to be cut-and-dry, so I tried to incorporate some of my digital illustration skills. I really enjoy doing that side of things.”

Beyond her own personal contributions, Morgan was also able to talk about the particular uniqueness of the 2021 Arrowhead as opposed to what students may have seen in the past.

When asked what makes this year’s Arrowhead different from previous editions, Morgan says, “We are focusing more on MC throughout the layout. Every Arrowhead has a different theme, but we wanted to make it more MC-oriented. That will be reflected in things like our color scheme as well as different MC images around campus. It’s completely different from other Arrowheads we’ve seen in the past.”

The choice to make the 2021 Arrowhead more MC-focused also harkens back to an idea of connecting artists to a common place. Those who have their work selected for the magazine are all MC undergraduates, so it makes sense to use the setting of the campus as the magazine’s artistic template. 

Since the Arrowhead functions as a stage for creatives to put forth their best work, Morgan hopes that it will reach a wide audience with its positive message. “I hope that this magazine will bring more light to the efforts of any student who creatively employs his or her work on our campus. We’ve got some talented people, and I can’t wait for others to see it later this spring!”

Categories: Arts & Entertainment