Sports

Rough Start to Baseball Season Continues With Postponements/by Jace Aymond

After losing the end of last season due to the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Mississippi College baseball team is itching to get out on the field after 11 months of waiting.

The season will consist of conference-only games with the Gulf South Tournament currently scheduled for May 7 in Oxford, Alabama.

Last year, even with many games being canceled due to COVID, the Choctaws finished with an 11-9 record and were 6-3 in conference play. This year’s season started with a road trip to Valdosta State on the first weekend of February. The Choctaws dropped all three games of the series by scores of 9-2, 9-0, and 12-1 respectively. 

Senior George Farid led the way at the plate as he went 4 for 9 (plus two walks) and picked up an RBI and a run. He said that his good outing at the plate is due to “trusting myself, trusting the approach the coaches gave us, and staying within myself.”

Coach Jeremy Haworth explained, “We just weren’t ready to play… But, at the same time, we have a lot of talented guys. We believe in these guys, and we just have to turn the corner going into this weekend at West Alabama.”

The Tigers of West Alabama were the next series scheduled for the Choctaws, but unfortunately, two of the three games were postponed due to the extreme wintery weather the South has been experiencing. Coming into the series, the Choctaws had won the last six games against the Tigers but dropped the only game played by a score of 12-8. The remaining two games have been postponed to a later date. 

Ken Scott led the way for the Choctaws in the game as he went 4 for 5 at the plate while also racking up four RBI’s along the way. Lane Willis also picked up an RBI and a home run as he went 2 for 4 at the plate. 

The Choctaws’ first home series against Montevallo was to be played on Feb. 20-21,  but changes were made to the start times. On Saturday, a doubleheader is scheduled to start at noon while the lone Sunday game is also slated to begin at noon. The Choctaws had won all three games of their series against the Falcons by a combined score of 19-4 last season. Spectators are welcome at home games this season with Frierson Field held to 25% capacity.

Categories: Sports