The Golden Globes Kick Off Awards Season/by Morgan Miller

COVID-19 has bent the entertainment industry into impossible shapes, forcing it to start, stop, adapt, and move forward at its own pace.

Now, almost a year removed from the beginning of the pandemic, awards season has finally huffed and puffed its way to the starting line. In a normal year, the Golden Globes kick off the beginning of the awards circuit. This year’s Golden Globes will take place on Feb. 28, much later than its typical start time in early January. It is the first major awards show since last September’s Primetime Emmy awards, and it is the first awards show to honor films made in 2020.

Nominations were announced on Feb. 3. Netflix’s “The Crown” nabbed the most nominations for a TV show while David Fincher’s “Mank” has the most nominations out of the films. Netflix’s “Ozark” grabbed a few unsurprising nominations along with “The Mandalorian” from Disney Plus. New favorites like “The Queen’s Gambit” and “Emily in Paris” have enjoyed nominations as well. However, there were a few surprises to the nominations as well.

Of the five nominees for Best Director, three of them are women. This marks the first time in the award show’s history that more than one woman has been nominated in a given year. Lin-Manuel Miranda’s acclaimed musical “Hamilton” also picked up a couple of nominations. The musical was released as a film on Disney Plus earlier this summer, making it eligible for the awards season despite the show being taped in 2015. Chadwick Boseman has also earned a posthumous nomination for his role in George C. Wolfe’s “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.”

The show will be held virtually and streamed in two separate locations. One will be in Beverly Hills, and the other will be in New York City. Amy Poehler is slated to host the Beverly Hills location while Tina Fey will host the New York City location. 

The Golden Globes look decidedly different given the COVID-19 accommodations, but we are living in a different age now. Things may never be the same as they once were, but the entertainment industry has done its best to hold onto some semblance of normalcy. Movies are still happening. Award shows are still taking place. They may not be on schedule and may be produced with extra precaution, but they’re still there. 

And hasn’t that been the moral of the past year? Trying to maintain what was once familiar to us and adapting it to fit new standards. The arrival of the Golden Globes is next in a long line of many examples of that adaptation, a line that says, “Yes, things are different, but we still carry on.” Because of that, it certainly makes the show something not to be missed when it airs on Sunday, Feb. 28.