Sports

Women’s Soccer Continues Their Regular Season Dominance/by Jace Aymond

The Mississippi College women’s soccer team continued rolling through their regular season conference opponents as they defeated Alabama-Huntsville 2-1, Christian Brothers 1-0, and Union 2-0 to open up the GSC Soccer Spring Championship Series.

The Hederman sisters scored the two goals in the UAH game as Avery scored in the 32nd minute while Erin scored in the 54th. Lindsey Stephenson scored the lone goal against Christian Brothers as she put it in the back of the net off a set piece in the 35th minute. Finally, Erin Hederman scored both goals for the Lady Choctaws against Union in the 21st and 32nd minute. The defense for the Lady Choctaws has also been dominant as they only allowed one goal through their first three games.

MC head coach Daryl Longabaugh was proud and gave credit to his team on how well their defense performed the past few games, explaining, “If your defense can keep them on their heels, then you’re going to have the advantage throughout the game. I think it’s very important for us winning the headers this time and I think we did a great job doing just that. I praise the girls, I told them I was very proud of them because they stepped up and really won the battles in the air today as best they could.”

MC’s historic season last year came with many contributing seniors graduating. This season, the Lady Choctaws know how young and new the team is. In fact, only nine of the 35 players on the roster are juniors or higher. Even so, the underclassmen have stepped up in a big way, and the experienced players have done a great job of guiding them. Senior Lindsey Stephenson explained that “being mentored by the girls that did graduate allows us to lead. And even having so many freshmen and watching them step up and even be leaders themselves has just been amazing to watch. There’s not a single weak player on this team and everyone is so strong and brings so much. But it’s important that everyone has a part on this team and does it well.”

Coach Longabaugh further stated how important each member on the team is by saying, “The girls that are returning from the year prior really helps the game flow and we’re still going to try and get these freshmen as much minutes as we can because they’re the future of the team. But there’s still some work to be done and they’ve still got work in practice to prove that they belong on the field.”

The Lady Choctaws close out their regular season with a match against West Alabama as they will play at Clinton High School on March 5. Finally, the regular season will come to a close in Cleveland, Mississippi, as the Lady Choctaws will take on Delta State on March 11. The team now has won 16 straight regular season conference games, and they hope to keep the streak when postseason play begins on March 17.

Categories: Sports