Arts & Entertainment

Gore Gallery Hosts Senior Art Show/by Morgan Miller

The Mississippi College Department of Art has prepared its last art show of the semester. The show features work created by seniors in the art department, and the pieces are all on display at the Samuel Marshall Gore Art Galleries on campus. 

The art show is a testament to the creative talent that thrives on MC’s campus and within its students. The pieces displayed are physical manifestations of time and dedication on behalf of those who created them. Their love of the craft shines from the frames encasing their work, and the show is truly a feast for the eyes for all who appreciate beautiful art.

There’s something for everyone to enjoy at the senior art show. Some of the many pieces on display include paintings of every medium, ink washes, digital illustration, graphic design, charcoal, pastels, photography, clay, and ceramics. The pieces are all named, and entire sections of the gallery are devoted to the many works of individual students. This allows the student to show the breadth of their talent across the many mediums they may work with. More than that, the pieces give these seniors one last chance to leave something behind for others to appreciate before they graduate from MC.

When asked about the art show, senior Elizabeth Holderfield said, “I think this year’s senior show is spectacular. I know how much work everyone put into choosing their pieces and getting them printed and framed. There are so many little details that go into setting up the show, and I think everyone pulled it off with flying colors. I’m so proud of the work we have all done to get this show ready. Personally, this show has been my chance to prove that I can really do this as a career. It has been my chance to show off the skills that I have learned over my three years at MC. It also proves to not only everyone else but to myself that I am a graphic designer and that my work is worthy of being recognized.”

As the end of the semester draws closer with each passing day, schedules only get more hectic and work only becomes more overwhelming. However, taking a mere 10 minutes out of one’s day to visit the senior art show can prove to be an effective brain break. Let your eyes gaze at something that transcends a computer screen as you peruse the pieces. In the maze of paintings, pictures, and pottery, you can exist beyond a deadline and appreciate the beauty cultivated through talent and hard work. It’s a worthy endeavor and requires little effort. 

The senior art show will be on display at the Gore Gallery from April 6 to May 7, and it will be open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Don’t forget to stop by before the semester ends!

Categories: Arts & Entertainment