Graduation Updates and a Fond Farewell for Seniors/by Marquisha Mathis

Graduation is three weeks away and seniors are preparing for their big day which will be divided up between three days. Mississippi College announced this news weeks ago to graduating seniors who are very excited to walk across the stage in their cap and gown.

MC will host three days of events honoring graduating seniors on the Clinton campus on May 6-8, 2021. Also, 2020 graduates who participated in remote ceremonies are invited to return, if they wish to walk in person.

A central ceremony will begin on Thursday, May 6 at 4:00 p.m. where a graduation procession, music, and a keynote speaker will be held.

MC is excited to announce that the speaker will be Kim Anthony, who is known for a number of accomplishments throughout her life. For over 20 years, she has been motivated to impact the lives of others as a motivational speaker, author, and leadership coach. And now she wants to share in the company with graduating seniors at MC.

This event is exclusively for MC faculty, staff, and graduates, but will be live-streamed for family and friends.

Following this will be separate degree ceremonies beginning at 10:00 a.m. on Friday, May 7 with the School of Science and Mathematics, followed by the School of Business at 2:00 p.m., and the School of Education at 6:00 p.m.

Saturday, May 8 will open with the School of Nursing at 10:00 a.m., the School of Christian Studies and the Arts at 2:00 p.m., and the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at 6:00 p.m.

Although things are a little different, MC has made it a much smoother process, where students still have the opportunity to be in the company of their family and friends.

School receptions will be held after the Thursday afternoon event. Plans are proceeding for the degree ceremonies, and four tickets will be distributed electronically for each graduate.

Seniors have enjoyed their time at MC and are really looking forward to the next step in their lives, and they can’t wait to walk across the stage.

Senior Damon Wright said, “It’s truly a blessing to have the opportunity to walk and experience graduation with my family. Through this past year, I’ve learned to not take events in life for granted, and an in-person graduation is one event that I will truly appreciate.”

This is the moment that they have prepared for. COVID has taken so much from people all around the world, and now MC has granted students the opportunity to take a well-deserved walk across the stage in May.

“I’m very glad they are able to hold an in-person ceremony so that my family can come see me walk. I’m also very glad to be done,” said senior Sydney Cannette.

Whether students came in as a freshman or transfer, it has been a long and rewarding process. The day will be here soon, and MC has provided the token for it all.

“It’s gonna be electric. I’m elated about the opportunity. Electric I say,” said senior Elliot Reeder.

This is a fond farewell for seniors to their professors, friends, and classmates. It has been a journey that is slowly coming to an end.

Be sure to watch emails for details as plans develop.