Men’s Soccer Eyes GSC Crown / Jace Aymond

With a team that led the Gulf South Conference in scoring at around 2.5 per match, the men’s soccer team rolled to an undefeated regular season that was shortened to only four games due to COVID-19. Unfortunately, their season came to an end in a 3-1 loss to Christian Brothers University in the semifinals of the GSC Spring Championship Series. 

An experienced, older team with only one player graduated from last year’s squad has Coach Kevin Johns feeling that “talent-wise, we’ll definitely be good enough to compete for a conference championship… There should not be any reason a team like this should not compete for a conference championship and hopefully get into the national tournament.”

For the 2021 season, the Choctaws are returning crucial players such as Antoine Recizac and Zach Diallo, who both led the team in goals last season. Defender Connor Johnson and goalkeeper Alejandro Chavarria, who was first team All-South Region and National Player of the Week in 2019, also return for the fall. 

The 2021 men’s soccer season kicks off on Sept. 2 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, as they take on Nova Southeastern University in a non-conference match. Two days later, on Sept. 4, they make the short trip north to West Palm Beach and compete against Palm Beach Atlantic University. The first home game will take place on Sept. 10 against Harding with conference play beginning on Sept. 17 against Auburn-Montgomery. 

In a conference that’s full of strong teams like the Choctaws, Johns understands, “There’s a lot of competitors in the conference, and you have to be willing to do the small things to make the difference… It prepares you for some good battles and tough games.” 

The complete fall schedule awaiting the 2021 MC men’s soccer team is a refreshing sight to see, and everyone “is looking and hoping to get back to a sense of normalcy and look forward to having a real schedule.” After an early end to a highly successful Choctaw men’s soccer spring season, Johns and his experienced squad are ecstatic to start their season in just a few short days.