Women’s Soccer Ranked #2 To Start 2021 Season / Jace Aymond

After going a perfect 8-0 in a shortened spring season and winning the Gulf South Conference Spring Championship Series, it was clear to see that even though there was no national tournament, it was one of the most successful seasons that the Lady Choctaws have had. So much so, in fact, that they ended last season and begin this one ranked number two in the nation, the best in program history.

Although the Lady Choctaws graduated a plethora of players from the 2019 season, the team from this past spring consisted mostly of underclassmen. Players such as Avery Hederman, Beatrice Currie, and conference leader in total shots and shots on target Erin Hederman hope to have even more success on the pitch than last year now that a full schedule is in their sights. With two dynamic goalies who only allowed six goals in eight matches, Sara Maleski and Ebba Elweroth, the Lady Choctaws have an exceedingly talented roster that is not only one of the best in the conference, but also the country.

The women’s soccer season kicks off with two games in Columbus, Georgia, on Sept. 3 and 5. They will take Queens University of Charlotte and Rollins College in non-conference matches to prepare them for the always-challenging conference slate, which begins on Sept. 17. Their 2021 season runs all the way until the beginning of November with the conference tournament set to start on Nov. 9 in Pensacola, Florida. With a successful year, we hope to see the Lady Choctaws back in the national tournament yet again, which takes place starting on Nov. 18.

With a full schedule laid out in front of them, mixed with a star-studded roster and the highest ranking in program history to start the 2021 campaign, the Lady Choctaws hope that this season will be one to remember forever.