Football Return After Hiatus Results in Defeat / Jace Aymond

The last time a football game was played at Robinson-Hale Stadium was November 16, 2019, which adds up to a whopping 656 days since gameday at Mississippi College. The season opener for the 2021 Choctaw football team ended in a 24-0 loss against non-conference opponent Albany State. Although the energy was high in Clinton, nothing seemed to be clicking for the Choctaws as they hope to use their time off to focus on the future. 

Offensively for the Choctaws, Tytus Heard led the way with 16 carried for 88 yards, averaging around 5.5 yards per carry. Jacob Stephens also had a 27-yard reception in the second half and collected 37 total yards on two catches. MC earned 179 total yards of offense, with 141 of them coming on the ground. On the other side of the ball, Josh Miller and Jonathan Jones picked up nine and eight tackles respectively on the night. 

The Golden Rams of Albany State had 279 total yards of offense on the night, of which, 189 yards came from the run. Quarterback Dionte Bonneau went 6-of-13 passing with 74 yards and a touchdown. 

Next up on the ledger for the Choctaws is the University of Fort Lauderdale, which they will play on September 18 after getting a two-week long break. After falling to 0-1, the team hopes to use their extra time off to get ready for the upcoming conference slate.