Men’s Soccer Drop Season Opener in Florida / Jace Aymond

After a COVID-shortened season this past spring, the Choctaw men’s soccer squad
kicked off their season in Fort Lauderdale, Florida as they took on Nova Southeastern University
in a non-conference matchup. Although the first half was scoreless, the Choctaws fell to the
Sharks 1-0.

Although many chances for both sides in the opening half, it wasn’t until the 52 nd minute
until Nick Brisevac scored off a deflection from Choctaw keeper Alejandro Chavarria, who had
an impressive game despite allowing the lone goal. Although the Sharks had one more save than
the Choctaws, Chavarria’s four saves came at opportune times.

Even with the Sharks out-shot MC 11 to nine, they both stayed even at shots on goal with
five each. LSU-Eunice transfer Noah Wagner led the team with 3 shots on target with Pedro
Cortes also picking up two shots of his own.

The Sharks were down to 10 men after a red card a minute after the lone goal was scored,
but the Choctaws couldn’t capitalize in the second half. Six of MC’s nine shots came in the final
25 minutes of the match, with a near chance off a corner kick in the final minute.
The Choctaws will stay in the Sunshine State for their next match as they head north to
face off against Palm Beach Atlantic at 6:00 this Saturday night.

Published by

The Collegian

The Collegian is the official student newspaper of Mississippi College. Run by students for students, The Collegian strives to bring quality journalism and storytelling to its readers while also providing an outlet for students to express themselves. We hope our readers leave with a better sense of their community and the people in it.