Ranked Lady Choctaws Fall in First Match / Jace Aymond

On the campus of Columbus State University, the nationally ranked Lady Choctaw soccer team played their opening match against Queens University of Charlotte. Unfortunately, MC dropped the game to the Monarchs 1-0. 

The first half saw little opportunities, even with Queens outshooting MC by four in that time period. The only goal of the match came just after halftime, in the 47th minute, from Nia Gaither off an assist by Karen Juarez. The Choctaws put a world of pressure on Queens after the goal, but the ball couldn’t find the back of the net for the Choctaws when the final whistle blew. 

Both the Choctaws and Monarchs were even on the game with 15 shots and 6 saves a piece, but Queens only had one more shot on target with a 7-6 margin. The Hederman twins led the way offensively for MC, with Erin having six shots with three on target, and Avery collecting two shots and one on target. Four Choctaws also made their MC debut in the match along with Holly Pascoe, as she missed the past two seasons because of injury.

Up next for the Lady Choctaws is Rollins College, who also started 0-1 on the season. The two will play Sunday morning at 10, again playing in Columbus, Ga. as a part of the Columbus State Invitational.