Cross Country Claims Both Wins at UNA Invitational / Jace Aymond

The men’s and women’s cross country teams competed in the North Alabama Invitational
this morning with more competition than the season opener, with multiple Division 1 teams
competing as well. The Choctaws claimed both individual victories and the overall win for both
the men’s and women’s races.

The men cruised to a team victory with five Choctaws placing in the top 12 of the race.
The overall winner was none other than Gabe Poulin, who set a new personal best for an 8K with
a time of 24:42. Freshman Christian Balcer secured sixth place at 25 minutes flat with Junior
Hunter Kurz finishing a second behind him to place seventh. Other Choctaws to finish near the
top were Evan Del Rio in ninth, Braedon Methvin in twelfth, and Cole Benoit in sixteenth. The
Choctaws placed first overall with 31 points, Division 1 Memphis secured the silver with the
hosts, North Alabama coming in third.

The women’s race was just as impressive for the Choctaws as, once again, they took first
both in individual and the team’s overall placement. Like Poulin, it was none other than
sophomore Jazmin Hernandez to set the top time of the race at 18:10. Along with Hernandez,
MC placed eight of the top 18 runners to cruise to an easy victory with 29 points. Murray State
was the runner-up this time with North Alabama once again placing third. Madeline Campbell
and Josie Whipp placed fourth and fifth respectively, Kathy Hammond a tad further in seventh,
and Emma Langley in fourteenth.

After two dominant and impressive wins, both cross country teams will travel to Joplin,
Missouri to compete in the Missouri Southern Invitational in one of their longest road trips of the
season this coming Saturday, September 18.