History Made as Volleyball Split Day 1 of Reddie-Tiger Invitational / Jace Aymond

Starting out the season with a five-set loss to Arkansas-Monticello and having to miss the Dakota’s Patriot Classic in Tyler, Texas due to Covid issues, the volleyball team is itching to get back on the court to pick up their first win. Fortunately, the Lady Choctaws had two opportunities today at the Reddie-Tiger Invitational in Arkadelphia, Arkansas.

Game one was a rematch against the Blossoms of UAM, and it was the Lady Choctaws who came out with the win in, once again, five sets. The Choctaws won all of the odd-numbered sets with scores of a drawn out 29-27, 26-24, and 15-9 in the final set. Along with MC picking up their first win of the season, history was made by one of the Lady Choctaws. In the match, Lexie Laurendine set the program record with 54 assists in a single match, with the previous record being 50 set in 2011. Kendall Platt led the team in kills with 15 and Erin Davis set a new career high in digs with 29. 

After picking up win number one and just a short break between matches, the Lady Choctaws were set to play the Lady Tigers of Ouachita Baptist. Although bringing it to a full five sets, MC dropped the match 3-2. The Lady Choctaws took the second and third sets by scores of 25-20 and 25-18 after OBU took the first. Unfortunately, MC could not take the final set, as they lost it 15-6. Lexi Richards shined in the match, however, as she had 19 kills: a new career record for her. Stevie Nesbit, Sloane FitzHenry, and Kendall Platt all recorded four block each in the match as well.

The Lady Choctaws take the court in less than 24 hours as they look add two wins to their ledger in the final day of the Reddie-Tiger Invitational. The first game, at noon, is a rematch against Ouachita Baptist and at 3, they will take on Henderson State. 

Published by

The Collegian

The Collegian is the official student newspaper of Mississippi College. Run by students for students, The Collegian strives to bring quality journalism and storytelling to its readers while also providing an outlet for students to express themselves. We hope our readers leave with a better sense of their community and the people in it.