MC Obliterate Fort Lauderdale 63-0 / Jace Aymond

After opening the 2021 season with a tough loss to Albany State in the home opener 28-0, the Choctaw football team looked for vengeance against the University of Fort Lauderdale, a school that has only competed in one football game prior to this one in their program’s history. Fortunately, the Choctaws took advantage of the inexperience of the Eagles and easily handled them, 63-0. 

The Choctaws started their dominance with a Zadok Esters interception on the first possession of the game that gave the Choctaws the ball on the Eagle’s 37 yard line. In the first quarter alone, MC put up five touchdowns from four different Choctaws. By the end of the game, seven different MC players scored the eight Choctaw touchdowns. 

Many of the Choctaws’ offensive opportunities came from defensive turnovers as Fort Lauderdale threw three interceptions and lost a fumble. Along with Esters, Josh Miller and Nick Grady picked off passes of their own. 

For the offensive, the Choctaws picked up 351 rushing yards to the Eagles’ nine with MC putting up 418 total yards to Fort Lauderdale’s 70. Tytus Heard went 2-2 on passing for 67 yards and a touchdown with Stephen Smith and Ian Thies being his receivers. Rushing-wise, Grant Collins led the way for MC for 105 yards on six carries with a score and quarterback Joshua Hernandez picked up 75 yards and a touchdown of his own. Cole Fagan and Jonathan Cobb Jr. also made their way into the end zone. 

The Choctaw end their three game home stretch to start the year with their first conference opponent in West Alabama this coming Saturday, September 25. The Tigers are also fresh off a blowout win over North American University and are undefeated this season. The game will be the first of two against West Alabama, with the upcoming game to be the only one to count in conference play. The last time MC football has played the same opponent twice in a single season was in the 1930s. Kickoff is set for 7:00 at Robinson-Hale Stadium.