Men’s Soccer Drop Tight Match Against AUM / Jace Aymond

The Mississippi College men’s soccer team was fresh off an impressive 5-0 win over Ouachita Baptist. With conference play starting, they knew the road would get tougher from there. Their first match was against the Warhawks of Auburn-Montgomery and, although both teams were nearly even, the Choctaws dropped it 1-0.

The first half saw both teams play nearly identically, as both the Choctaws and Warhawks produced four shots and no goals for their efforts. It was more of the same story to start the final 45, until Franck Kouentchi scored the lone goal of the match in the 65th minute from a cross outside the box. 

Although AUM outshot MC 9-7, it was the Choctaws who manufactured more shots on goal with five to the Warhawks four. Alejandro Chavarria made three saves for the team with Gonzalo Carrasco having three shots and two on goal. 

The now 1-3 Choctaws make the trip to yet another Alabama conference opponent in Montevallo this coming Sunday. The Falcons, who have not lost a match yet this year, hope to keep their winning ways going while the Choctaws look for their first conference victory of the season. The match will begin at 3:00 right after the women’s game.

Published by

The Collegian

The Collegian is the official student newspaper of Mississippi College. Run by students for students, The Collegian strives to bring quality journalism and storytelling to its readers while also providing an outlet for students to express themselves. We hope our readers leave with a better sense of their community and the people in it.