Men’s Soccer Pick Up Electric Win Against Montevallo / JAce Aymond

With an incredibly wet field, delays and stoppages, it was a rough match for both the Choctaws and the Falcons of Montevallo University Fortunately, their end of half fireworks and great defense all match provided the Choctaws with a 3-1 win, their first conference victory of the still young season. 

The first half was relatively quiet as both teams combined for only 8 shots in the first 40 minutes. However, due to a lightning strike within five miles of the stadium, the game was suspended 30 minutes, which was exactly what the Choctaws needed to spark their offense. The defense held strong for both squads until Julio Rangel struck first with a goal in the 41st minute after being assisted by both Abel Perez and Antoine Recizac. Not even a minute later, it was Recizac who doubled the lead with a strike from the right side of the box into the opposite corner. 

Coming into the second half, the Falcons cut the lead to one from an Edin Hernandez penalty in the 59th minute that was well outside the box. Even with the onslaught of second half shots from UM, it was MC who delivered the final goal of the match with a Noah Wagner strike in the 89th minute. 

The Falcons outshot MC 17-13 on the wet field, but the Choctaws were more accurate with a 10-6 margin favoring MC in shots on target. The Choctaws forced Salvador Plaza to make seven saves throughout the match with Alejandro Chavarria making a solid five saves between the sticks. 

The men will mirror the women’s team with their upcoming schedule as they take on Lee and Shorter, both at home, this upcoming Friday and Sunday. Kickoff for both games will follow the women, or around 3:00.